Airport Extreme + new AirPort Express = dead

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by xtrem, Aug 19, 2011.

1. xtrem macrumors member

I have had my Airport Extreme (4th gen) and AirPort Express for a couple of months. the APE is extending my wireless network and is connected with Ethernet cable to the AP Extreme.

Last week the APE died and I got it replaced within warranty. But everytime I configure the new unit to extend the wireless network and press Update, the AEBS disappears from the network after 20 secs and the internet connection goes down. If I unplug the power from the APE, the AEBS is back up by itself after 30 secs.

Any ideas? I haven't changed the config...

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

You shouldn't be extending your network. You should be disabling DHCP on your Express and setting it up as a bridge. To do this, you need to set Connection Sharing to Off (Bridge mode) in AirPort Utility and set up the SSID/password as you would normally. This allows the Express to act as a wireless access point and enables everything to act as one giant network (with multiple SSIDs).

3. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

thanks for this. i always set my airport express to wirelessly extend the network. will be now setting it up the way you described. :)

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

Anytime :) I assume you're connecting your Express to your main base station with Ethernet, right? If you're not and are in fact trying to extend the network wirelessly, you will need to keep doing it the way you have. The way I've explained it is if the Express is connected via Ethernet.

5. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

i used to but am looking into the way to do it via ethernet. i set it up to wirelessly extend and it feels as though its not. when i extend it and i am on the other side of the house next to the extended express i only get 1 bar on my iPhone and iPad and 2 and my mac. i thinks it because a microwave is right above it so i turned on robustness and its still the same. so i want to do a test with a hardwire