Airport Extreme no longer sold on Amazon. Is it a sign?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mixolyd, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Mixolyd macrumors member

Mixolyd

Looking to purchase Airport Extreme AC router and see that it's not sold new on Amazon anymore. I know WWDC is right around the corner. Could it be a sign that Apple will finally release a new AC router?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

While I doubt that there is a correlation, I would not be surprised if Apple unveils a slightly updated AirPort at WWDC.

3. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

It's still in stock at Amazon and the Apple Store in the UK, so perhaps not. I'm just wondering what sort of upgrade they would be bothered with considering the Airport Express is still on 'n' and they haven't seen the need with that.

4. Mixolyd thread starter macrumors member

Mixolyd

Oh weird that it's not sold on Amazon US anymore. I always buy everything from Amazon due to their amazing customer service, so I'm waiting for it to get back in stock or be updated. Hoping it's the latter.

The Airport Express hasn't been updated since 2012 and the Extreme since 2013, so it's time Apple did something.

5. Mixolyd thread starter macrumors member

Mixolyd

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

7. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

That's true, might as well wait now but don't be disappointed if nothing turns up. Maybe it's a glitch in the store on Amazon US, eg why would they remove an item because Marketplace sellers may still want to sell it.

8. McDLT macrumors regular

Is there any tech on the airport in need of an update?

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

As with anything, there is always room for improvement.

10. thedeske macrumors 6502a

The best way to know is paying attention to the top "Non Apple" devices. They always go first in this arena.

11. recoil80 macrumors 68000

The Airport Extreme is "in stock" on Apple Store.
    I was about to buy a refurbished unit but I'm waiting the WWDC. Maybe they'll update AE with something related to HomeKit, who knows. Maybe they'll update the Express version to include 802.11ac, so I guess is better to wait for a few more days

12. tmaxxtigger macrumors member

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

What a shame! I would have loved to order a new AirPort to use as the router at school.

14. recoil80 macrumors 68000

I'm a little bit disappointed since I expected the new Apple TV.
    I just bought a refurbished AE since I don't want to wait till the next event in September

15. deerajwani macrumors newbie

deerajwani

I'm disappointed too - I want to move up from my existing AE to a Time Capsule in the near future. Would be nice to have a brand new release with newer features / improvements.

I see the last few generations of AE came out on June 21, 2011 and June 10, 2013...so June 2015 would be the next logical timeframe if they are sticking to the 2 year release cycle.

Well, still a few more days left in June, so let's see what happens.