Airport Extreme: No New Updates!?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by legaleye3000, Mar 31, 2010.

1. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

A new firmware update just came out and my airport utility (which I just updated to the latest version) is telling me I have the latest firmware version running at version 7.4.2, when the newest one is 7.5.1...

I have the latest base station (dual antennas). What's wrong? Thanks

2. AV8TOR macrumors regular

AV8TOR

3. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yup.... Checked updates from within Airport Update...

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

There were two simultaneous dual band Extremes released. The first was Draft N and came with 7.4.x firmware. The second (latest) is Final N specs (also extended range) and came with 7.5 firmware. The first did not come with 7.5 firmware and therefore cannot be updated to 7.5.1 (the one I suspect you have).

5. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

Any way to give model numbers so I can confirm mine...? Thanks.

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

MC340LL/A - New
    MB763LL/A - Old

Check the retail box as the base station itself will not have those model numbers on it. AirPort Utility will also report that it has found a Simultaneous Dual-Band Extreme, but appends "II" to it if it's the latest version.

If you bought your device after October 2009, it is the latest. Before that and it's the old one.

7. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

Problem is... I bought it as a refurb, but from Apple directly. I bought it around xmas time...

The model number on the bottom of the unit (refurbished units get their own model #'s) is: A1301.

8. skorpien macrumors 68020

The problem is that both of the simultaneous dual-band Extremes have the same model number, so that is not a good way of telling which one you have (the numbers I gave previously are order numbers). You would need to go by what AirPort Utility reports, and because you've already stated your firmware is 7.4.2, it's previous gen (FB763LL/A, the M changes to F if it's refurbished). Just as the previous gen cannot be upgraded to 7.5.x, the current gen cannot be downgraded to 7.4.x

Also, if it's a refurb, and it was bought around Christmas 2009 (remember the MC340LL/A came out two months prior), it's definitely previous gen. Apple does not have refurbed MC340LL/A for sale as of yet and would definitely not have had them two months after their release.

9. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ah ok, that explains it... Do you or anyone know the difference between the 2 routers?

10. skorpien macrumors 68020

I was mistaken about the model numbers. Upon further searching, it seems the newest models are A1354.

MB763LL/A:
    Draft N specifications

MC340LL/A:
    Final N specifications
    Improved range
    Purportedly faster Time Machine backups to AirDisk

11. playalistic macrumors regular

Take it from me the improved range thing is bull. I got one and replaced the previous version timecapsule and the older timecapsule was a good bit faster at the range I'm using it at. Despite claims of the increased range etc.

12. gwerhart0800 macrumors 6502

I had a single channel Extreme and was unable to use the 5Ghz radio range to reach from the basement (where the internet drop is) to the living room upstairs where the Apple TV is. The signal was to weak for the Apple TV to get connected. (It could "see" the 5Ghz signal, but would never sign in.) I purchased the latest Extreme and I am able to connect on the 5Ghz radio now. So, my empirical evaluation would say that for the 5Ghz radio, the antenna changes did improve the range. For my network, I use an older model Express in ProxySTA mode connected to a Gig 5 port switch to handle all of the stuff in my home office (2 printers, 2007 Mac Mini and a MacBook Pro) connected on 5Ghz, and a second 2.4Ghz b/g/n network for all of the other systems in the house. I moved the old Extreme upstairs to use as a network extender for the 2.4Ghz network. My wife is pleased that she now has "full bars" on her HP laptop when watching TV up stairs. Previously, the 2.4Ghz network was being handled by a Linksys 54G WAP, but it had reached the point where it had to be power cycled every day to keep it running. (Linksys quality has gone down hill since Cisco bought them in my opinion.)