Airport Extreme - not prompting for network password

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by FaultyGluestick, Nov 8, 2009.

1. FaultyGluestick macrumors member

I just set up my Airport Extreme, which is connected to my modem, and created a new network. The problem is that when I connect my mbp to my new network, it doesn't prompt for the password which I have set to wpa2.

I'm not sure if it's the cause, but I called my ISP about my Airport Extreme previously finding an invalid ip address and just overall not working. He told me that it's strangely acting like a hub instead of a router which he said is not secure. I'm not really sure what he meant but he doesn't seem to know how to fix it. I can connect to the internet but the problem is that there is absolutely not security and perhaps that's the cause of the airport acting weird?

Sorry, I have no clue what I'm talking about, but I'm just letting you guys know what I've been told and perhaps my problem can be solved. Thanks!

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

In regards to it acting like a hub and not a router, if you open the Airport Utility, double click on your router, click on the Internet icon (at the top of the new window that opens), towards the bottom of that page, is "Connection Sharing:" set for "Share a public IP address"?

3. FaultyGluestick thread starter macrumors member

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

If it's set for "Share a public IP address", then it is setup to be a router.

As for your Mac not prompting for a password, is there any chance you entered the password once in the past, and it has it remembered?

If you click on the Airport icon on the menu bar, and your Mac shows you all of the WiFi networks near yours, does yours have a lock icon near its name?