Airport Extreme not recognized

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by theslaz, Jan 24, 2014.

1. theslaz macrumors 6502

I have been running a Airport Extreme in bridge mode with a Telus Actiontec modem hardwired. The extreme is approx 6 months old and for the first 3 months appeared to be running flawlessly. Three months ago I started having problems with losing internet intermittently. Being that it was my internet connection; I contacted my Isp; which is Telus. After 6 visits by 6 different technicians; it appears that the problem was solved. (installed a new modem and upgraded the firmware. Old firmware had a bug; as it appears that the telus modem and Mac computers, didn't work nice together!) The problem I started to have about two months ago; is that, I can't get the Extreme to work properly; as I occasionally lose the signal. At the very least once a day. If I go into the wireless Utility after the signal is lost, I get a error message stating that "No configured Airport base station has been found"! My solution is to bypass the Extreme and connect wirelessly to the Telus modem; or reboot the Extreme; and it will work till the next incident.
    I must explain why I knew that my first problem mentioned above with losing my internet was a Telus problem. I have Optic Tv through Telus. It is a service supplied through the internet. The Optic boxes are wired directly to the Telus modem. Therefore if the internet drops of; even for a second; all the boxes go black. Now that I have a new modem with the proper firmware; this doesn't happen anymore. I was hoping that after the Telus fix; that would be the end of the problems with the Extreme. Not!!!

Any thoughts on this?? Might be time to take the Extreme back to Apple; as it is still under warranty.

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

I would personally take it back to Apple and have them replace the Extreme.

You could troubleshoot and figure out exactly what the issue is, but if it turns out to be hardware related you'll have to take it back anyway.

I'm a Telus and Optik TV customer as well, with an Extreme (non bridged) connected to my Telus modem/router, and I haven't experienced the issues you've described. I realize it's not the exact same setup as yours is in bridge mode, but the behaviour you describe still seems highly suspicious and indicative of hardware failure.

Come to think of it, that's exactly how my first gen Time Capsule was behaving before it completely failed; dropped internet connection and unable to be detected on my network until I reboot it. The Time Capsule was in bridge mode with the Extreme as the primary router.

Edit: I just read your location. I'm a Calgarian too :)

3. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your reply. Me thinks I'll give them a call!

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

My controller for a large roaming network would do that until it was forced into Double NAT. Give that a shot even though it is not a recommended setup. If the issues stop after, then call your ISP and have the modem configured as a bridge and use the Extreme as the DHCP and NAT server solely.

5. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Spoke to Apple Support this A.M. I'm impressed by the service I got! They suggested, that the first remedy that I should try is a new Cat6 cable from the Telus modem to the Airport Express. Which I am trying right now. Apple indicated that the Cat5 cables sometimes don't work properly in the newer versions of the Airport Express. We will see.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Give it a shot but I would also look into that DHCP issue.

7. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Well so far so good. Haven't had any issues for the past 20 hours. But; it is still to soon to know for sure!