Airport extreme not showing in finder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by drcory, Feb 14, 2008.

1. drcory macrumors newbie

i have the gigabit aebs connected wired to my mini and also connect have a macbook that connects wirelessly. i am having trouble sharing between the two computers and have noted a couple of oddities;

1. the base station doesnt appear in the sidebar
    2. even though i am connected and can surf, airport utility on my macbook cannot find the airport extreme base station!
    3. i keep losing my shares, i have allowed sharing thru afp and dont have any passwords on either side yet still get connection failed most of the time.

i have reset the base station many times and still cant figure this one out.

2. jenastar macrumors newbie

Similar story

I have an airport extreme time capsule. It is not showing up in finder all of a sudden even though I can browse the internet! I tried resetting the base station with the hardware reset button as well as through the software. It's just very strange because I can get to the internet. The only difference I guess is that the Airport Utility does pick it up and allow me to configure it, but it does not show anything in the Disks pane. I have set Finder preferences to show everything in the sidebar. I even tried connecting to it manually with Finder (connect to server) with the local address. Any ideas?

3. jpmuofu macrumors newbie

After experiencing the same symptoms reported in the previous posts I found that the problem was that my external hard drive was NSTF formatted which is not compatible with the Airport Express. It has to be a HFS+ or FAT32 to be in order for a Mac to write to it. So I reformatted to FAT32 and reconnected to the Airport Express and "everything just worked" as advertised.

Here is a link to a post on apple.com that explains this issue. Hope this helps someone else out there, it took me several hours to find the info I needed.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=9881043&#9881043