Airport extreme not working with USB Hub

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rossfrye, Sep 25, 2011.

1. rossfrye macrumors newbie

Background:
    -I have 2 different hdd devices. One LaCie 1TB Big Disk - This acts as my time machine. The other is a Drobo with 4TB of storage - This acts as my media & everything else storage device.
    -Both were connected to my Airport Extreme via a Powered Belkin USB Hub.
    -Previously, I could always access both simultaneously, no problems ever.

Updated to Lion the day it came out:
    -No problems, everything still works fine

Last Lion Update:
    -Both drives began simultaneously & randomly disappearing from my finder window. I would look for them in the disks tab of the Airport Extreme in Airport Utility. They did not appear there either.
    -There were no problems with the internet connection, or the network connection. The status light on the Airport Extreme still showed green.
    -Power cycled EVERYTHING & No change.
    -Tried plugging in the hard drives separately. Both worked independently & Time machine still backs up - so I don't think this is a time machine not supported issue.
    -When I plugged in through the USB Hub, the device that was plugged in first was the only device to show up in the Disks tab in Airport Utility.
    -Unplugged the Hub from the Airport & the power source. Plugged both drives into the hub then to the Airport, then to the power source. The drive that spins up the fastest (usually the LaCie) shows in Disks.
    -Same thing just plugged the Hub into the power source before the Airport - still only one drive shows up.

So, I concluded that it must be a problem with the USB Hub- bought a NewerTech Powered Hub:
    -Still the same problems!!!
    -Concluded that I wasted money on the new Hub

Any Solutions? Anyone else having these issues?

Thanks

2. mtlsteve macrumors newbie

Airport extreme not working with USB Hub

I have a LaCie Quadra 1TB and a Drobo. I used to tether them by Firewire 800, but recently bought an Airport Extreme.

The Quadra is used for Time Machine, and the Drobo is used as file storage and media library.

I can't say that switching to Lion was at cause, as I switched to the Airport after migrating to Lion.

When I tried to do my initial Time Machine backup, the drives were lost, and the backup failed.

Plugging the LaCie drive directly into the airport works every time. I know that the USB hub is not best in class, and that it occasionally (back in my PC years) seemed to be the cause of large file transfers dying.

Should I (we) look into different hubs, or should the Drobo be used for both, and ditch the use of hubs altogether?

3. rossfrye thread starter macrumors newbie

It's working now

Hey mtlsteve,

so it works for me now. It took a bunch of tries, but i got it to work by alternating the order in which I plugged the LaCie & the Drobo into the usb hub & the usb hub into the Airport. It was a while ago, so I honestly don't remember the order that I got it to work with. It does work though.

As for using the Drobo for both. I did that before (with a different external hard drive) & found that the back up's got corrupted more easily & I often lost my connection to the hard drive- I should have to power cycle to get everything back online again. I have no idea how (in)effective that option is with just the Drobo.

It is clear that apple would prefer that we just suck it up & buy a time capsule. I however, refuse to spend the money on something that should work.

Good luck.

4. nissan.gtp macrumors 6502

thanks to rossfrye for the hint about order.

I had the same problem hooking up a Lacie external and a Canon printer. Plugged both into the Belkin USB hub, then plugged the hub into the airport. After a bit of time, both show up and are accessible from Macs and my wife's Windows laptop.

As a note, the Lacie was on her Windows system (Fat32 format), and came up fine on the AE

Nice when it all works :apple: