Airport Extreme not working

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by stormtrooper888, Dec 11, 2011.

1. stormtrooper888 macrumors newbie

Just got a G5 last week...
    I received my airport extreme card today in the mail, i got it in the comp fine and the comp is recognizing it, but i can't get it to find my router. I plugged in the antenna wire that runs to the back of the comp but i don't have a external antenna plugged into the back of the tower.

is this my problem?
    i thought i would atleast get a weak signal with no external antenna since the router is only in the next room.

2. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Nah you need the antenna, my router is in the next room too and I can't pick it up without the antenna.

3. stormtrooper888 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok cool atleast my **** isnt broken lol
    its the T-shaped one that i need right?

4. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Anything that plugs into the antenna port should be work, I didn't realise I needed an antenna when I got my G5 earlier this year, but luckily I had some ugly third party one lying around from years ago. You should be able to find plenty of Apple antennas on eBay though.

5. reddrag0n macrumors 6502

reddrag0n

I heard somewhere online that a safety pin stuck in the center hole will act as an antenna. Could try that.

6. stormtrooper888 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys

i found a random wifi antenna in a junk drawer but it had the wrong threading. tried to mcgiver it, didnt work. so i ordered a Tshaped apple one on ebay i hope that will solve the problem