Airport Extreme on 5.0 and Express on 2.4?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by seadragon, Dec 30, 2009.

1. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

Hi all,

Just wondering if the following will work...

I have a non-dual band "n" AEBS that does EITHER 2.4 or 5.0 GHz. I'd like to set the AEBS to 5.0 GHz and have my 3 AX connect to it for use with Airtunes. So far, no problem.

However, can I setup a fourth AX to host for a 2.4 GHz network and allow my iPhone to connect to it and in turn control a laptop that is connected wireless to the 5.0 GHz network.

I think I'd have to setup 2 different subnets, but am not sure if the devices would then be able to see each other?

I was going to buy the latest dual band AEBS, but I've been reading about many problems with the 5.0 GHz range.

Thanks!

2. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

I think the only way that would work is if the fourth ax was connect by hardwire. Not an extender.

3. seadragon thread starter Contributor

seadragon

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the AX would be sitting beside the AEBS so I would hardwire them together.

I'm just not understanding if the iPhone connected to the AX would be able to control a MacBook connected to the AEBS?

4. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

Should be able to because the ax would would be just using the 2.4 freq to broadcast they will still be on the same subnet and default gateway.

5. seadragon thread starter Contributor

seadragon

Thanks again! That's encouraging.

So, would I have to setup a WDS or something else in order to have the AX act as a 2.4 GHz connection point?

I appreciate your help!

6. waw74 macrumors 68030

yes, mostly correct

no WDS, that's wireless distribution system, since you're running a wire, no need for wireless.
    not different subnets, just different SSIDs (wireless network name) (so My_network_G & My_network_N or whatever you want), both will be the same network. and yes the express would need be hardwired to the main network.

put the express that's making the G network in "off (bridge mode)" under connection sharing on the internet page.

I do exactly this, but reversed, linksys router serving B/G, and an express serving N. devices on either wireless network talk to the others just fine.

the range problem is not necessarily with apple, it's with the 5Ghz signal, it just doesn't go through walls well.

7. seadragon thread starter Contributor

seadragon

Thanks waw74!

Sounds like I have options then. I've just been reading over on Apple Discussions about problems with the latest revision of the AEBS. People are speculating its a firmware issue, but are not sure. I was going to buy a new AEBS today, but don't really know which would be best.

If I got the new dual band AEBS, it would do all of this I think.

8. seadragon thread starter Contributor

seadragon

Well, I decided to go ahead and buy the latest AEBS. My plan is to use it with it's dual band capability and then use my current AEBS upstairs and extend the new 5.0 GHz network. This should allow my 3 AX and MacBook to receive a healthy 5.0n signal and the iPhones will connect to the 2.4g.

I hope my plan works.