Airport Extreme only allowing one wireless user?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Optimus Rhyme, May 13, 2007.

1. Optimus Rhyme macrumors regular

My roommate and I both have Macs and a while back I purchased an Airport Extreme. All was working fine, but then I believe his computer wasn't working properly, so we tried doing a hard reset of the Airport. After doing so, it appeared that it still didn't work, and I just assumed that it was his computer which was having problems.

Earlier this morning he was using his computer for something and I had to reset, as I reset, his computer connected to the network and mine would not connect anymore.

It appears that maybe there is a setting that does not allow more than one user connected wirelessly at a time? I am completely puzzled as to what setting it would be, if any.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Do you have mac filtering on? Try taking your security off and see if you can connect

3. Optimus Rhyme thread starter macrumors regular

I tried changing the security a while back, it didn't change anything.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The other likely explanation is if one/both of you is trying to grab the same IP address from the router instead of using DHCP like good boys. :)

5. Optimus Rhyme thread starter macrumors regular

Well if I remember correctly, we're not trying to use the same IP, we are using DHCP.

6. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

mk means that the router needs to be configure to distribute IP addresses using DHCP. I'm pretty sure by default the AEBS acts as a bridge, meaning its giving out the one IP address it has to the first client to request it (i.e. only one machine can connect at a time)

You can check what mode you are in by taking a look at the Internet Connection tab of the Internet view in Airport Utility. The Connection Sharing field should have "Share a public IP address" option selected. While you are at it, you should double check your DHCP settings on the router too.