Airport Extreme only working in 'Bridge Mode'

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by moneyshot, Jan 16, 2011.

1. moneyshot macrumors member

Hi,

I have just purchased an Airport Extreme and have it running smoothly in Bridge Mode but I would like to have it set to 'share a public IP address' so I can use the guest internet option.

Every time I try that I get the following - 'The DHCP range you have entered conflicts with the WAN IP address of your AirPort wireless device'

What do I have to change it to???

I am running the airport extreme through my ADSL modem... Do I need to change the settings of the modem?

Many Thanks for any help!

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Google is your friend, if you're in bridge mode, you lose the ability to provide a guest network.

3. moneyshot thread starter macrumors member

Gee thanks buddy:confused: I have been 'googling' and haven't found a solution, thats why I started the thread here to see if any helpful folks knew the solution.

I realise that the guest network doesn't work in Bridge Mode thus the reason I want to use 'share a public IP address' BUT as stated in my original post using this mode creates a problem with the DHCP range...

Thanks for replying though;)

4. jenzjen macrumors 68000

5. moneyshot thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your time!

I have been through a number of attempts including changing my modem router to 'Bridge' and then trying to log onto my ISP through the Airport Extreme with PPoE but it for some reason won't work. It comes up with an error -asks me to check the ISP details. They are fine and I have double-triple checked everything...

I guess Im missing something but cannot work out what it is. A few helpful people on the Apple support boards have been going through the problem with me but still no joy...

Guess I will just use the AE in Bridge Mode!

;-)

6. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Who is your ISP and what is model of the device? Maybe you can see if your ISP also provides a wireless router, get it 2 you'll have 2 devices capable of providing a wireless signal better if you have a dual-band so you don't have interference issues.

7. skorpien macrumors 68020

If you're having issues putting the ISP's modem/router into bridge mode, you may have to ask them to provide you with a modem sans router. I've lost the ability to provide a guest network since switching ISPs, and unfortunately there's nothing that can be done as my IPTV STB will not work without the modem/router my ISP provided. Hopefully you're not in the same boat as I am and your ISP will provide a modem instead.

8. MasterOfJB macrumors newbie

Solution

I found it
    Unplug internet cable from entry port of Your airport ext. And plug it in à random lan port .
    Change Your connecties into dhcp and NAT
    apply
    Ignore THE fault messages and enjoy Your router
    (Even ignore THE 169 ip Cuz it doesnt affect Your connection)
    You re welcome pals!