Airport Extreme or Airpot Express?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by luckydev, Jul 27, 2012.

1. luckydev macrumors newbie

I'm looking for a new wireless router for my home.

Range:
    In my home (just 1100 sq.ft totally), there are 5 rooms (including living room) all on the same floor, separated by brick walls. The router should be installed in one room that is in one corner of the home.

Devices:
    My brother and I each have iPhone, iPod, iPod touch and MBP. If you count other wireless devices, there will be like 11 devices totally at my home. And all of those devices are on different rooms. There is one desktop computer and printer which can connect to the router via ethernet.

Which Apple router should I buy? Airport Express or Airport Extreme? Since both offer simultaneous dual band capability, I really don't know which one to choose. I need a very good range and speed all throughout my home, no matter which device I use to connect to the internet.

Pleae advise.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The Extreme, but if you really need "good" range and speed you shouldn't be looking at consumer wireless networking products anyways. My guess is that your "needs" just mean you need to be able to get speeds adequate for streaming media. The AEBS (like all consumer routers) should be fine for that.

Of course placement of the router will be the determining factor. If there's only one spot you can have the router and you don't get coverage somewhere then you're SOL.