Airport Extreme or alternate?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by johngrussell, Sep 14, 2018.

1. johngrussell macrumors member

Hi, my very old airport extreme died and i need a new one. I'm wary of all the negative reviews and the fact that Apple is not supporting it? Anybody have a rec. for a good replacement? My setup is that I have my comcast modem at my house and a fiber optic to ethernet cable feed to my office 300 feet away. The old airport extreme was connected to that ethernet feed and then I had wifi and also ethernet feed to mbp in my office. Now i only have ethernet feed.

Thanks in advance.
    john

2. Fishrrman, Sep 14, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2018

Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

I'd suggest one of the "mesh systems" that are on the market.

There are numerous ones available, such as:
    - Linksys Velop
    - Netgear Orbi
    - google wifi
    - eero
    - Ubiquiti "Amplifi"
    ... and others.

I started using a Velop (before Apple adopted it to become the "replacement" for the Airport), and it seems to work quite well.

I believe you can connect the Velop nodes via Ethernet, as well.
    You could put one (or two) around the house, and connect an additional node via ethernet to the office.

Some of the others do ethernet backhaul, as well.
    Best thing to do is "read up" on the user reviews, check out YouTube experiences, etc.

3. ryanmp macrumors newbie

I am also in the same boat, my ancient Airport Express that was extending my Airport Extreme is now faulty. Rather than invest another one, I'm looking to upgrade everything.

Trying to decide between the Synology RT2600AC or one of the mesh systems. It is likely I will still need to get an extender with the Synology so maybe mesh is the best way forward, but was hoping to get a built in VPN

4. tibas92013, Sep 27, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2018

tibas92013 macrumors 6502

Fisherrman: I read a few Tech Articles that a "Mesh System" would be overkill for a small apartment and they also recommended to purchase a major brand router(like the "Netgear Nighthawk") with some good critic reviews that costs around one hundred($100) Dollars.