Airport Extreme or Another Router?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kurtisboyd, May 8, 2011.

1. kurtisboyd macrumors newbie

I recently purchaced a Macbook Pro (Winter 2011) which uses wireless N.

We only have a Wireless G router, and all our other computers/devices only support G.

I am looking into buying a dual-band router, which can transmit Wireless G & N on the same SSID, so I can use N on my Macbook and the other computers can use G, and the airport extreme is taking my interest. The only problem is that it doesn't have a modem to connect to my ADSL2+ connection, so I will have to buy a seperate modem. My current modem (a D-Link G604T) is very unreliable and often drops out and has very bad performance, so this means that as well as purchasing the Airport I'll have to fork out more money for another modem, but I'm not really sure what to get and what will be reliable.

The features of the Airport Extreme are exactly what I'm after, but all the hassle of getting a separate modem turn me off the idea of buying the Extreme, so do you think I should buy the Extreme and a separate modem (if so are there any you could recommend?), or can you guys recommend me a good, reliable dual band G & N modem/wireless router instead of the Extreme?

Another note, I am a songwriter and often upload torrents of my music onto my website, so the ability to handle torrents and lots of connections is a must if recommending me another router.

Thanks guys :)

2. laurenr, May 9, 2011
    Last edited: May 9, 2011

laurenr macrumors 6502a

Who is your ISP? When I had DSL, my Provider was AT&T; when my modem went bad, they replaced it for free. From what you describe regarding your needs, the Dual-band AEBS would be ideal. I have that setup at home. My computers connect to the "n" 5GHZ network, while other devices work off of the "b/g" 2.4GHZ network.

Edit: In case you need it,here is a review on the best DSL modems of 2011:
    http://dsl-modem-review.toptenreviews.com/

3. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Airport extreme.... no no no..

For the price of the Airport extreme get a Netgear WNDR3700. Here in the UK the Netgear is cheaper then the Airport and is much better.

The airport is just too $$$ for what you get. My 3700 is awesome with regular firmware updates.

http://www.netgear.com/WNDR3700