Airport Extreme or Linksys e4200?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mjk336, Sep 23, 2011.

1. mjk336 macrumors newbie

Looking for some advice. I'm a novice when it comes to networking. Which router should best suit my needs?

Devices include:
    iMac
    iPhone
    iPad 2
    PS3
    Xbox 360

I've been researching all over Internet and have it down to those two. Any help would be appreciated. I want one that won't drop signal and is easy to set up wifi for the above devices.

Thanks for any help!

2. jmgregory1 macrumors 65816

jmgregory1

Chicago and a few other places around the world
    I got the latest Time Capsule for my home office, but it also powers the kids' xbox, 2 macbook pros, 2 iPhones and an iPod Touch. It replaced a vizio dual band router that worked fine but just wasn't as flawless as the TC has been. I'd recommend the AE, for the simple fact that it is made to work flawlessly with your Apple products AND the latest version I believe has increased the power slightly.

3. bluez3 macrumors member

i had this same dillema a few months ago when the new AE came out. there was some review site out there that pegged the e4200 as second fastest router, lost out to some Asus model. The comparison didnt have the new AE included, but the older AE didnt perform that well. i ended up going with the E4200. it is rediculously fast. and the range is awesome. the router sits up on the 2nd floor about 70 feet from my driveway and behind 2 interior walls and the exterior wall. When i get home at night, my ipad2 starts chiming with all sorts of alerts as it picks up the routers signal when i pull into the driveway.

i am sure the new AE is a decent router, but i wanted something right away to replace my dying linksys WRT-350N and didnt want to wait for reviews to come out on the AE. Also, all the other switches and ip cams in the house were were linksys, so they play nicely together.

oh, just caught the easy to setup part of your message, maybe just get the AE. i hear it is a snap. it took me a few hours to get my E4200 running the way i wanted, but keep in mind, i didnt use any wizards, setup CDs or other sorcerers of the sort, i just went with the http setup page. plus i was setting up the router as a secondary cascaded behind my ISP's router.

4. mjk336 thread starter macrumors newbie