Airport Extreme or Linksys WRT610N???

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Howard54, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Howard54 macrumors member

I am new to Mac and run predominantly Windows in my home but just purchased a new Mac Mini.

I need to upgrade my router and I am considering either the Airport Extreme or Linksys WRT610N.

Any help on using Airport in a mixed environment would be appreciated as well as the pros/cons of the two units under consideration.

Also, can the Airport be configured from a Windows PC or does it need to be configured through the Mac?

Thanks!

2. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Both can be configured from Windows or Mac. However, the Linksys will have a web interface that's accessible from a browser, the Airport Extreme will have a configuration utility you need to install. This means that the Airport is limited to Windows or Mac while a linksys router can be configured from about anything with a browser.

However, I have an Airport Extreme and I find it very limiting. If you're going to do something very basic with it, share internet + wireless, either will fit the bill.

Me however, I'm already running DHCP and DNS off a server I have at home and the Airport software doesn't let you disable DHCP if you're going to use it to NAT connections on the Internet. It seems as soon as you want to break the mold a bit, the Airport just won't budge and requires kludge after kludge to make it behave.

The linksys is just more versatile in what kind of configurations it will let you do. I still use a WRT54G for NAT, my Airport Extreme is now just an Access Point + Airdisk for Time Machine.

3. cavemonkey50 macrumors 6502

Having used both routers (and currently using an AirPort Extreme), I would go with the AirPort Extreme. While the WRT610n is nice on paper, I had way too many issues with it:

- Using both the 2.4Ghz bands and 5Ghz bands at the same time would cause problems, constantly causing the router to crash and reboot.
    - My iPhone would loose connection to the router every 2-3 days, forcing me to reboot the router to reconnect.
    - Using the TKIP WPA2 option with more than one Mac on the network at at time cause both Macs to disconnect. Switching to AES resolved the problem, but then my 360 couldn't connect because it needed TKIP.
    - USB hubs could not be used, so only one hard drive could be connected at a time.

Some of the issues could be resolved by using something like DD-WRT, but at least for me, it was more trouble than it's worth. I switched to an AirPort Extreme and since then no issues.

4. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

same as posted above, used many Linksys routers.
    Personal fav WRT54G(S).

The past 2-3 yrs I have had my own share of problems w/ Linksys from slow throughput, having to reset alot, overheating, dropping connections, etc. This from the walmart cheapo's up to the Linksys/Cisco small business routers (4400N in particular) and I was tired of the headache.

New puppy chewed up the WRT54GS so I decided to just upgrade to the Airport. No lie, not one single hiccup yet , knock on wood, and been using it for about 8 months.

setup
    AEBS -hardwired->2 desktop computers
    -wireless->PS3, 3rd-4th desktop, 3 iphones
    -wireless xtend->airport express->xbox360, DVR's

5. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

not to mention that Airport products are disposable

they usually die after 1 year - 18 months...

6. robotartfashion macrumors 6502

The Airports work so seamlessly with Apple products, I would recommend them. I'm using a Airport Extreme Dual Band and extending it with a Airport Express, both have worked perfectly with no issues.

I think you'll find the lack of hassle is worth the cost of the Airport product.

my .02

7. cavemonkey50 macrumors 6502

You're thinking of Time Capsules, which have an integrated power supply. The AirPort Extreme has an external and does not suffer the same flaw. Even so, Apple may have fixed the Time Capsule issue with the latest rev.