Airport Extreme or NetGear WNDR3700

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nwroberts, Apr 15, 2011.

1. nwroberts, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011

nwroberts macrumors member

I want opinions... Which should I get? I have used just about every brand of home wireless Router (or Access Point or Bridge/Repeater) as I have installed many in different homes. The only one have I NEVER used or installed is the Apple Airport Extreme.

If I went with the NetGear, I would actually wait for the WNDR3800 so I could have IPv6 internally (does the Airport Extreme support an internal IPv6 network?). But here is the thing. Regardless of which I use, the house is big enough to require 3 units (East Wing, West Wing, and Second floor over the West Wing - which will overlap wirelessly on different channels). I am installing this for some rich friends with a big house and plan on buying premium stuff (besides these wireless routers). Hell, a part of me even is considering Cisco; just kidding, they don't need that.

But seriously though, which do you think is better and WHY? I would like your opinion based on facts and experience please not just bias/prejudice.

2. nwroberts thread starter macrumors member

Okay. I guess lets open it up to bias/prejudice... Can anyone tell me the Pros/Cons of the Airport Extreme? Why you like it? Why you don't? Where is it lacking? What does it not have that it should?

For instance, since I posted this, I searched around, apparently the APExtreme does not have configurable QoS options. This is almost a deal breaker since they do wireless VoIP and wireless video streaming.

In any case, I guess lets open this up to discussion from all. Since no one seems to have any thoughts thus far...

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you need QoS you have the luxury of having freedom from choice. Since the AEBS doesn't have it, go with the Netgear.

4. nwroberts thread starter macrumors member

Ah... Very good. I wasn't sure if it was actually true that it didn't have it or if someone was just a dummy and didn't know where to find it.

Maybe in a future version AP model they will truly make it the ultimate home wireless solution.

Thank you for confirming that for me.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I have a WNDR3500L and an older AEBS (non simul dual band). The only real advantages of the AEBS are ease of admin and looks. Other than that the Netgear is far more flexible, especially when running something like Tomato, has an extra Ethernet port and, like miles01110 said, if you need QoS get the Netgear.

6. nizmoz macrumors 65816

The Apple product to what I have read maybe expensive, but it's very reliable!

I purchased the WNDR3700 and it is now dead after only 9 months and Netgear refuses to replace it! Terrible customer support. So I went and purchased the new Cisco Linksys E4200. It was working fine for a week, now I have weak WIFI signals and now it's dropping my internet. I disconnected it and reconnected my old D-Link Gamers Lounge Router (forget the model) and no issues at the moment. I want to get my devices back on a N network though so I am returning it today for a Airport Extreme and hoping for the best as I am sick of buying routers that are worthless junk. Per the reviews many are having the same issues too and switched and now are happy.

7. nwroberts thread starter macrumors member

Ah. Thank you all. I haven't had any problems with the reliability of mine personally (WNDR3700 NetGear)... yet. Running strong. Only 1 reboot since set up 7 months ago.

Knock on (morning) wood though.

Something tells me though, based on when the announcement was made, and the amount of time it is taking for its release, the WNDR3800 will have some flaws with Version 1.

8. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

9. nizmoz macrumors 65816

So far after having the Airport Extreme for a week vs my 3700, we have had no problems at all. 100% stable, fast internet connection. The Netgear 3700 was a pos and many are having issues with them. Some not right away. I didn't for 8-9 months. But I finally got Netgear to replace my WNDR3700 that failed after two weeks of fighting with a new one which per FedEx got to my house today. So if anyone wants to purchase one, I have one available at a discount!

10. cuestakid macrumors 68000

I have the WNDR3700 and have been very happy. The main reason I went with it instead of the AirPort was feature set.
    Here is a site that rates and reviews many new routers

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/

11. nizmoz macrumors 65816

And I doubt most of you even use those features that are extra on the 3700 that the airport doesn't have. Google wndr3700 problems and enjoy reading hours of failures. I have owned both from experience. Want one to last years with good support get apples. Want one that won't last long (maybe a year or two max) before it fails and have crappy support get the netgear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I have a WNDR3700 and it works like a charm with our Macs & PCs.

13. tmagman macrumors 6502

My buddy and I just had this conversation and we went for one of each- he with the Netgear and myself with the AEBS. The Netgear probably has the best browser based setup and control panel interface out there, everything very well organized and every feature clearly visible and easy to modify. AEBS is nice in in OS X but not quite as well laid out for the advanced network user.

Performance wise we found both routers are pretty close and have no complaints on either end.