Airport Extreme or other brands

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by robbca, Mar 27, 2015.

1. robbca macrumors newbie

Hi everyone:

I have an iMac, iPhone, Ipad, etc... We occasionally have visitors come over with a PC to connect to our wireless network. We are in the process of getting rid of Uverse and switching to TWC for internet service only. Today I was at Costco and saw the Netgear Nighthawk AC1750 and Motorola Cable Modem SB6141, I purchased both. Then I was talking to a friend who said I should get a Apple Airport Extreme instead of the Netgear Router which I did. Now I am reading about compatibility issues with the Airport Extreme and some security issues. It is way too much info to digest. I would like to get some good input so I can return whichever one I don't keep.

Thank you!

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

If I wasn't going to run an AirPort Extreme, I'd be using a router with wwdrt.

Also, I've had no issues with PC or Linux compatibility with my AirPort Extreme.

3. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Don't listen to your friend. That Netgear router is a superior product.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There is nothing really wrong with the Airport Extreme, but that Netgear is a far more feature rich router.

The Airport Extreme is very easy to configure with the Airport Utility application, but beyond that I don't see much reason to keep it over the Netgear.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The Netgear is a faster router with more configurable options. The AirPort shines due to its fantastic support (it is also covered under any device's AppleCare), overall reliability (set it and forget it), and good capability. I use an AirPort Extreme as the router on a network of twelve Expresses connected via Ethernet that serves 150+ clients daily. Handling all that traffic without a hitch says something good about the Extreme's capability and reliability. There are no issues with PCs and non-Apple devices on the Extreme at all.

In summary, if you want top notch support, reliability, and overall fantastic user experience go with the Extreme. If you want the best benchmarks and being able to configure every option known to man then go for the Nighthawk.

6. robbca thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you everyone! I am going to return the Airport Extreme and stick to Netgear. As much as I want to be ALL Apple, in this case I am reading to many mixed news about the AE.

7. jefo13 macrumors newbie

After two years of unreliable Wifi with AE, Nighthawk 1750 saved me

I even exchanged the AE for a new one at a gracious Apple Store and no avail, now that I have the AC1750 Nighthawk things are a lot smoother (no more dropped connections and ariplay is nearly perfect)