Airport Extreme or Time Capsule??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by LGShepherd, Jun 28, 2009.

1. LGShepherd macrumors regular

Hi,

I have been looking to purchase an Airport Extreme and today I went into my local CEX and they had a used one for £50. I looked on their site and the price is £50 for an Airport Extreme (used) and £150 for a 500Gb Time Capsule (used).

I cant decide whether to buy the Airport Extreme and then a 1Tb external for around £150 or the Time Capsule with 500Gb storage for the same price.

What does everyone think?

Thanks

2. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

I would go for the first option. As the airport extreme is more portable so you can use when you are traveling or visiting places which don't have wireless network i.e only Ethernet (at work, hotels). Also if the external drive is of brand which is compatible with the airport extreme you will still be able to backup wirelessly.

3. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Neither, they are terrible routers. My Time Capsule failed on me and it also had difficulties connecting to non-Apple hardware.

Please also remember that these are ROUTERS, they do not include a modem. So if you get your broadband connection over your telephone line then you will need an additional box with it too to act as a modem.

4. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Cannot disagree more. You deserve what you "got" using non Apple hardware. AEBS's are incredible routers-make sure you get the new dual band version.

5. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

I brought the Time Capsule, because it's was two in one. I had both mine and hubby back-up on there, and we have so many devices we use wirelessly in our house.

6. drewster macrumors member

My two expresses have been rock solid - more so than the linksys the one replaced, especially when downloading torrents, the linksys used to freeze and need a reboot. (Never happened on the Express)

So I can only imagine the Extreme is as, or more solid, in that regard.