Airport Extreme out of date?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Krispy162, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Krispy162 macrumors regular

Krispy162

I have an Airport Extreme (802.11n 3rd Generation)

At the moment I'm having such slow internet connection. When I take my cable out of AEX and plug directly into computer it's 10X faster. I do have about 5 wireless computers connecting to this network.

Will buying a new AEX fix this or is there other ways to fix this issue?

(Download speeds as low as 1.58mbps)

2. samh macrumors 6502

What are those other wireless computers doing? File sharing? Streaming video? Are there any game consoles or DVRs connected wirelessly? How far away is the laptop when you get those speed results? What it the speediest result when you plug in by Ethernet cable?

We need a little more information?

3. goMac macrumors 603

How old are the computers also connected? Unless configured properly, your network will only be as fast as the slowest connection to it. So if you have an 802.11b computer on the wifi, your entire network will be at b speeds.

There are a few configuration changes you can make to side step the issue if that's your problem...

4. Krispy162 thread starter macrumors regular

Krispy162

The oldest computer is 3 years old. When connected directly I usually get as high as 18mpbs.

I'm a room next to the Extreme and I experience slow speeds as well as a computer that is a floor above the Extreme. I would understand why the one is getting slow speeds but I'm only a wall away from the router.

I did chat live with Apple for a brief minute and they said I have the latest version and the firmware is up to date so it's not that I need to replace it. They suggested a trip to Genius Bar but I wanna see if I can fix before making the trip.