Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applemax

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
Hi

I'm having some performance issues with my wireless network setup (+8Mbit ADSL connection). Currently I have a Dual-band Time Capsule set to Automatic, with an AirPort Extreme on 'Extend Network Mode' and an original AirPort Express in client mode used exclusively for AirTunes. I've attached a diagram to clarify the setup.

I'm getting some strange performance issues which I hope you can help me with.

1) On the 'Inside Xbox' channel on Xbox Live (essentially a video streaming service), it takes around 3 minutes to buffer a short 5 minute video. Additionally, while buffering, while looking at AirPort Utility, the network rate goes down from around 108 to 1. It remains at 1 until I stop viewing the video.

2) AirTunes on the AirPort Express is usually connected with a transfer rate of 1 or 5 Mbit - music streaming is impossible and audio is stuttered.

3) The whole network is being used in 2.4Ghz mode. For some reason, when I enable 5Ghz mode, network transfer rates for N-devices drop from 108 to around 17 Mbit.

4) Internet browsing is consistently slow on both computers and iPhone and streaming videos takes a long time. However, speedtest.net says otherwise:

507704797.png

5) The new iTunes store in iTunes 9 takes around 90 seconds to load each page - much slower than before.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

:D

Attachments

• Network Setup.001.png
    Network Setup.001.png
    102.2 KB · Views: 65

SqB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Northern Colorado
extending the network will slow it down, but it shouldn't be anywhere near that much. Have you tried troubleshooting by turning everything off and starting each and testing?

I'd start with your base station and the adsl line only and test it from your notebook to see what types of speed you get. If that works fine, start adding stuff back in one at a time and see when the speed drops. You might also want to do a hard reset on your dsl modem if you haven't already.

Also, if the first step (adsl->base station only) gives you slow speeds, you might want to try connecting directly to the dsl modem to check speeds on that. It's very possible that the whole speed issue exists between the wall and the world in which case you'd have to get in touch with your provider. Never mind this part. Reread your post again and see that it is definitely an internal problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.