Airport Extreme performance when bridged?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by simply amazing, Nov 2, 2011.

1. simply amazing macrumors member

Hi all!

We just got FIOS connected at our house and the router location is too far from where my computer is (3 floors up) to get optimal WiFi speeds. So, since then I bought a 100ft ethernet cable and ran it from the router to my room; hardwired to my MacBook.

From my MacBook, I turned on internet sharing and have been using that signal to stream to my Apple TV2 and also use it to connect my iPod touch to the internet. With that being said, I don't know what exact effects it has had on performance because I haven't done any speed tests from my ATV2 or my iPod. All I know is that it is a 234234897x improvement than it was before for all my devices.

Now, I am thinking heavily on getting the Airport Extreme primarily because I take my MacBook with me every day and I don't want to have to keep plugging/unplugging the ethernet cable and pretty much immobilizing my laptop by having it hardwired to the router/modem that Verizon provided us with. I don't want to bypass FIOS' coax connection go the ethernet route, so I'm limited (as far as I know) to just bridging the connection to the AE if I were to get it.

If I bridge the connection, will it slow down the speeds in any way? I did the speedtest on my MacBook hardwired and it was 20mb down, 6mb up. During the times I would like to hardwire the MacBook to the AE, will I still be getting those same speeds? Furthermore, if I'm using the AE, will the wifi signal be similar to the speed/strength of my MacBook when it had Internet Sharing on? I ask the latter primarily for the use of my ATV2..

I apologize for the long rant. I just wanted to post the background info of how everything was set up to avoid any confusion. Thank you all in advance!

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

If you go Extreme,

speed, no difference
    range, likely much better