Airport Extreme poor live streaming?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by RolandNights, Dec 6, 2011.

1. RolandNights, Dec 6, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2011

RolandNights macrumors 6502a

I just got an Airport Extreme, and I've noticed a few issues. Range-wise, it seems to be the same as my last router, but then again, my room is on the completely opposite end of the house. I'm sure there's a lot of interference (walls, physical objects, and there's tons of other WiFi signals in the area), but my MBP re-connects to WiFi after awakening way faster on the AEBS than it did on my last router. Previously, it wouldn't connect X amount of times, or would re-connect with poor signal.

According to Speedtest.net, I'm getting about 19 mb/s. Not sure if that's good or bad, but compared to my last wireless-g router, websites are picking up much more quickly than before, pictures are loading faster, etc, but there's a problem when it comes to streaming.

Whether it be Youtube, Vimeo, justin.tv, or live streaming, I've noticed that things get REALLY slow. It takes forever for videos on Youtube to completely finish loading and live streams on justin.tv don't even show up. Even when I am in the same room as the AEBS, live streams don't even bother coming up. Netflix actually loads just fine, but the video quality has definitely taken a hit. This wasn't an issue with my last router. I thought it was a Flash issue since I put off updating, but after the update, I got the same results. I tried restarting the AEBS (7.6) and my mid-2010 MBP (10.7.2), and yeah, still trouble loading videos. Anyone know why it's such a specific issue with videos?

2. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

Get iStumbler, analyze which channels are being over-used nearby, then change your Extreme to a channel not being used.
    http://www.istumbler.net/

3. RolandNights thread starter macrumors 6502a

That helped somewhat. I hopped on the 2.4 GHZ channel, which at least got the streams to appear. It's still really laggy, though. Netflix video quality is still below par. Nonetheless, this helped a little, so thanks. Any other solutions that don't require me to buy an Express?

4. DaveTheRave macrumors 6502a

Good idea. And for technical reason I can't really explain you only want to use channels 1, 6, or 11 when using the 2.4 ghz frequency. Has to do with the way the other channels overlap. For the 5gh. Frequency try channel 161.

5. RolandNights, Dec 6, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2011

RolandNights thread starter macrumors 6502a

How do you change the channels to 1, 6, or 11? On my network, the 2.4 ghz frequency is channel 2 and the 5 ghz frequency is channel 149.

Update: I figured out how to change the channels. I'll let you know how it works after some trial and error.

6. RolandNights thread starter macrumors 6502a

Very cool and very helpful! I changed it to channel 1, which according to iStumbler, is going completely unused by my neighbors or any other devices. Live streaming is back up to pace. Loads up fine, no more excessive lag. Netflix is also working well now, with no degrade in HD quality. Thanks for the help!