Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tim5021

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
I received the new Airport Extreme and I can not send any emails through my Mac mail account. I can receive, but I can not send. Does anyone know if this is becuase I need to open a port on the Airport Extreme? In the account settings it shows port 25, but how do I confirm that port is open on the Airport Extreme?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
You should NOT need to open any special ports to be able to send mail using SMTP -- you should be able to do it with a stock (fully closed) software firewall and a stock (fully closed) hardware firewall. Opening ports is actually for when the traffic initiates from the outside on that port. The SMTP traffic is initiating from the inside so having the port open is irrelevant.

What was your configuration before you had the router? Were you plugged directly into a cable modem or DSL modem? Can you please describe in more detail exactly what you changed?

Usually, this issue has to do with an ISP (Cable or DSL) putting in restrictions so that mail can only be sent on *their* smtp servers. For instance, using my same set of mail accounts (Yahoo, Hotmail, GMail, NetZero, 2x University of Florida, AOL), I can send all of them across SMTP. However, when I am at home, I must use the Cox Cable SMTP server. When I am at the University, I must use the university's server. Neither site lets me send SMTP using any server other than their own.

tim5021

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
I changed the outgoing smtp server to my ISP (smtp.cox.net) and everything works fine now. Thank you.

rescallon

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2008
Hi everyone,
I am experiencing the same problem. I don't think the problem is with my ISP, because if I connect directly to the cablemodem, SMTP works fine. If I switch back to the Airport Extreme, neither gmail nor other servers will send mail, even though there is one that does.
Any thoughts?
Thank you,
Ricardo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.