Airport Extreme: possible to connect a Mac using ethernet cable?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mgpg89, Feb 8, 2011.

1. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Hi,

I'd like to buy an AirPort Extreme, if I would be able to use it like this:

1. Modem -> ethernet cable -> AirPort Extreme (obvious)
    2. AirPort Extreme creates a wireless network (obvious too)
    3. AirPort Extreme -> ethernet cable -> Mac (so I can have high speed internet through the cable)

Is this configuration possible?
    In other words, can I also use the AirPort Extreme to pass on the internet connection through a cable instead of *just* wireless?

Thanks in advance!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes. That's why it has three ethernet ports on the back of the unit.

Technically speaking the "wireless" part of the AEBS is a wireless access point to your network, not a separate network in itself.

3. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

OK, thank you for your quick answer!

4. pdjudd macrumors 601

Most routers will include a switch/hub on the back in addition to the WAN port (where you plug in the modem) in addition to providing wireless. The devices will be on the same network unless you change things around.

The airport express is just a wireless access point - the extreme includes the additional Ethernet ports.

ETA: It's not that it's possible (it is), the extreme is designed to do exactly what you want - that's the main feature of it.

5. snberk103 macrumors 603

Just to add to the already good comments above...

You can connect up to 3 Macs by ethernet to an AE (technically more, but then you need extra hardware). If you turn off the Airport on the hardwired Macs then you force the ethernet connection. An AE connects your Macs at Gigabit speeds - 125 MB/s. Wireless N is supposed to support 75MB/s (but rarely hits that speed due to interference, etc) and USB 2 runs at a 60MB/s in theory (but rarely does due to overhead).

In other words, connect your Macs by ethernet (AFAIK all Mac ethernet ports are also Gigabit) and you can move files among them at speeds that will surprise you.

6. samh macrumors 6502

Not quite. The Airport Express is a wireless access point with router, but lacks the ethernet switch/hub to physically connect to other devices.

There are devices called "wireless access points" that do not do routing, and therefore will not allow you to connect a network of multiple computer to share one internet connection. The Airport Extreme is not that kind of device.

7. pdjudd macrumors 601

Your right - I should have made that clearer - it is a router, but it doesn't offer any wired ports. An important distinction.