Airport Extreme - Powered USB?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Examinus, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Examinus macrumors member

I'm going to buy a USB drive to connect to my Airport Extreme to use for Time Machine backups.

Is the USB port on the Airport Extreme powered, or will I need to buy a drive that has its own power supply?

Thanks!

2. bobby68 macrumors member

The USB port on the Extreme is powered.

I have connected a portable Seagate harddisk, that comes with a twin-USB cable, if a computers USB port aint delivering enough power.

But the Extreme delivers plenty of power to the hardisk, without the need for the twin cable.

3. Examinus thread starter macrumors member

4. JackP788 macrumors newbie

Glad I found this post, as I was wondering the same thing. Thanks!

Jack

5. Chachaz macrumors newbie

Does this work?

I want to do the same setup, but the fellow at the apple store said time machine only works over wifi with time capsule.

let me know

6. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

sometimes

I had it going on mine, until I got the dreaded Error 109. I haven't backed up my computers in over 2 months now. I wish Apple would allow this.

7. cderalow macrumors 6502

cderalow

i routinely use time machine to backup to a bus powered WD passport hard drive connected to my original (802.11n) air port extreme base station.

no issues to date.

8. breathesrain macrumors regular

He lied.

9. Examinus thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, and apparently it's supported by Apple too, although not documented very well.

I originally used my NAS to backup to using Time Machine and a sparsebundle (the same way it uses the drive on the AE), but my backups were always corrupting. Hopefully doing it this way they should be more stable.

10. Kingcodez macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

How is the speed using TM to an AEX? I TM from my SSD to my internal HDD, both on the SATA bus, still really slow.

11. Catman77 macrumors newbie

Examinus - why were your backups corrupting, and how would doing it over USB fix this? I've been trying to find a USB drive that would work with my AEBS but have struggled to do so. . . (though I'm told it should work).