Airport extreme probelm in WDS

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mohdsos, Nov 26, 2007.

1. mohdsos macrumors newbie

hi guys

i got 10 extremes all wireless N i have one connected in my office to the router and the connected on bridge no DHCP in the airport all ips from the man router sisco one.

i tried to configure the man base staion as WDS main and i added the mac address of 3 another airport extreme , i also made them bridge so the 1st one worked then the 2nd i got ip from the router and all of them joind as WDS realy , i added also the mac of man base and the nods witch is the 3 other airports

after that i didnot work .... what is the alternative solution rather that extender :confused:

2. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

3. mohdsos thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry , i was in hurry

back once more

i have 10 apple airport extreme 1 is a base station and 9 i want to connect them as WDS .

i hope it's Clear

what i did is like this

>>>>

in the base staion , WDS setted as WDS main , and for this airport extreme the ip is coming from DHCP server in the network. there is no nat or shred ip.

Router ---- cabled plugged in internet jack in airport extreme----- ip is a public ip
    i started to set up the next one as WDS realy ,
    i filled the main base station MAC and b cuz there was no nods connected i left it empty.

the 1st one worked fine WDS mode
    the second
    i did the same but i add the mac address of the base station as WDS main and the MAC of the 1st Relay WDS extreme as a Node.

when ever i try to connect more of it like example

base - in my room
    1st in the kitchen ,,
    now i want to connect another one to the 1st realy
    to extend the network to the backyard .....

just expanding my network with WDS

4. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I'm going to assume that English is not your native language. Apple has several great articles on how to design and implement AirPort networks.

Basically, you are going to want to design your wireless network like the diagram below.

Check out the following link for more information:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Designing_AirPort_Networks_Using_AirPort_Utility.pdf

Link for older AirPort Extreme Base Station WDS configuration (with better diagram):

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107454

Attached Files:

5. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

On an additional note, you are going to want to reset all of your base stations (AirPort Extreme Main Base Station, AirPort Express, etc) to their default settings by holding down the reset button (on the back) with a paperclip.

I've had better luck letting the AirPort Utility program automatically configure WDS instead of trying to manually do it. However, if you need to setup a "relay" base station, you must manually configure.

6. mohdsos thread starter macrumors newbie

i did it up to 4 AX but the problem was when ever there is one AX down ,,,

there is no connection at all and the hole network fails....

i don't know why

and on the other hand the ping dealy is very high some times more then 1500 ms

i will try to do it this way

AX -- ------- AExpress ---------- AExpress ----------- AExpress
    main WDS WDS realy WDS realy WDS realy

the same SSID and the same chaneel

this is 1st

and

another Q

how many AX i can add to each other in serial mode
    each one connect to the one before

and in the base mac address i have to use the Base staion mac , or the the mac address of the previous AX

thanks alot

7. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

You're going to have to draw me a diagram so I understand what you are trying to accomplish.

It was is my understanding that an AirPort Extreme Base Station was designed to support up to three AirPort Extreme or Express relays and each relay station can connect up to three AirPort Express or Extreme remotes.

You are going to take a performance hit. WDS uses station bandwidth and limits throughput with each sequential node to maintain its connection with all involved stations.

These are consumer grade products and aren't designed for redundancy.

8. mohdsos thread starter macrumors newbie

main base (WDS main) --- AE ----- WDS realy ---- AE ----WDS realy 1 node ------ AE -------- WDS realy node 2nd and so on up to 10