Airport Extreme problem/question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pb1300, Apr 21, 2010.

1. pb1300 macrumors 6502a

I bought an Airport Extreme about two months ago, and it was a dud right out the box. I returned it to the company we order our products from, and they just got me a new one yesterday. I set it up, piggy-backing my modem, and its working fine. The problem I am having is that the light is not a solid color, its constantly flashing. Do not ask me what color, because I am red-green colorblind, and I couldnt tell you what color it's flashing. Like I said though, its working fine. Thoughts?

My other question is, does anyone have suggestions for a proper wireless setup? I went to the Airport Utility, set up the name and password, and everything connected. The only issue I had was after I set up my iMac, I got an "IP address is used" message when I tried to connect my Macbook. Again, it connected just fine, but maybe I did something wrong?

Thanks for the help.

EDIT:

This is the message I get when I open Airport Utility:

[​IMG]

I hit continue, it reads the Airport Extreme configuration for a few minutes, then it says it cant recognize it.

2. Kingcodez macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

It's probably your wireless activity light. They usually flash while there's activity so you know stuff is working. At least that's how I understood it.
    Try turning the wireless off and see what happens.
    Try isolating it completely, just plug in the power and wait 5 mins..

3. pb1300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

From reading the manual, it should be a solid color. Plus, if what you said was true, then why would I be getting that error message? I think I might have did something wrong in the setup, since I chose manual setup, but I dont know :confused:

4. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

It may be that a firmware update is available.Open Airport utility and click manual setup from there find the bit where is says T/C is reporting a problem and it should detail what the problem is.The light is amber by the way.(sorry I can't be more specific but my memory isn't terrific just click through things until you find the relevant bit)(remembered, click manual setup,summary then click status on the list and it will show what the problem is,it could merely be you have an unsecured network or other simple things.You can turn the flashing light off if it's something that doesn't bother you)

5. pb1300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

What I did was a hard reset. I went through the automatic setup, and it seems to be working fine now, w/out flashing lights. One other thing though...if firmware 7.5.1 is out, how come I cannot update to it?

6. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Same deal click manual setup, summary,version.The latest version for mine is 7.4.2 .(mine is an older one so 7.5.1. is not relevant if you do the first bit and a relevant update is available it will list it)

7. pb1300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

This F'ng thing is really starting to piss me off, and its acting up after I already cleaned up all the wires.

Here is whats happening now.

I lay down to go to bed, and want to check a couple of things on my iphone. I am connected to the internet, get out of my tweet app and into safari, and all of a sudden, I am booted from the wifi. I have to go into the settings and forget the network, and re-connect to my network, in order to get my wifi again. And in less than a minute, after opening anything that requires an internet connection on my iphone, it boots me again. What the hell am I doing wrong?

Also, I keep getting this error when I try to access my airport extreme. This is EXTREMELY frustrating. I did a hard reset when my original post was posted, and airport utility got me into the settings, and it worked fine. Now nothing. Am I going to have to hard reset every time just to get this to work properly?

Attached Files:

8. pb1300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So now I can open up the manual setup again. The problem I am still having is that my iphone is getting bumped from the network after less than a minute on it. Anyone know what gives? I have to forget the network, and re-enter the password just so I can use it, which it will then bump me off seconds in.

HELP :(

9. pb1300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Anyone got any answers? On top of the problem listed above, my PS3 times out too when trying to connect to the network.