Airport extreme problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by NYRangers11, Apr 16, 2012.

1. NYRangers11 macrumors member

I recently bought a refurbished airport extreme from best buy since I was in need of a new router I figured I would go with apple. Everything went fine and smooth the first few days and I was very happy with the speeds and connection I was getting compared to my old router. But then I would lose connection. The router is attached to a cable modem and the modem would lose signal. I'm not sure whether it's the airport that is contributing to the modem losing connection or whether its the modems fault. Now I never had this problem with the modem before. The message that I get from the airport is no DNS servers and a double NAT problem. Any help is appreciated.

2. ZipZap macrumors 603

Refurbished from Best Buy?

Do you mean open box?

3. skorpien macrumors 68020

Is your modem a combination modem/router? And if so, are you disabling DHCP on the Extreme? Doing so will resolve the double NAT error, but I'm not sure if that'll fix your issue completely.

4. NYRangers11 thread starter macrumors member

5. NYRangers11, Apr 16, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012

NYRangers11 thread starter macrumors member

Not sure if its the Cable hardware problem or is it a problem with the Airport extreme. I got a certain window to return the airport extreme and need to figure this out fast.

Once the modem loses connection, the only way to get it back is by calling the cable provider. Is it possible that the Airport Extreme can do something to the modem for it to lose signal and the only way to get it back would be calling the cable provider?

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It doesn't look like it was refurbished by Apple. The one you linked is being sold as-is with no warranty, Apple Refurbs have the same 1 year warranty as new models.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC340LL/A

It sounds to me like Best Buy is trying to resell returned open box product as refurbished.

If I were you, I'd return it and buy direct from Apple. The one I linked above is $10 more than the one you did and it's got an actual warranty. Or better yet, the current model is listed on the Apple refurb site for just $10 bucks more than that.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD031LL/A