Airport Extreme problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jimbo1963, Dec 1, 2013.

1. jimbo1963 macrumors newbie

After returning from vacation, having shut down all power to electronic devices, I returned to have an issue with airport extreme. It appears to boot properly and diagnostics have it running through first 4 items until it hits internet. It remains red and won't connect. I am using a cable modem. I have reset the cable modem numerous times with and without airport connected. No change. I reset airport to default setting and created a new wifi network. Again, no change. I also attempted a firmware update. "Error occurred while attempting firmware update" and it never could update. I have contacted cable provider and connection is good. Modem works properly using ethernet connection. I have been able to connect wirelessly to unprotected wifi connections, just not my own network, old or new. The extreme light is solid green. I am at a loss. Did my airport die?
    thanks
    iMac 21.5" OSX 10.6.8

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

What are you using to set it up your Mac or an iOS device?
    Try conveying to it via the Ethernet cable from the Mac and using the Airport Utility.
    Also check that Mac OS X has all the updates.

3. jimbo1963 thread starter macrumors newbie

for mac and household peripherals. 2nd mac, xbox, iphones and ipods. OSX has all updates. How do you want me to use ethernet? From airport to mac?

4. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Reset the Airport again, then connect it to the Mac with the Ethernet cable and then attempt to update the firmware again.
    Another thing to check could be the Ethernet cable from the Modem to the Airport, is it working OK when you connect your Mac to the cable modem directly?

5. jimbo1963 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks again. I will reconnect to mac after resetting device. I did swap ethernet cable with a new one on a whim and it did not help.

6. jimbo1963 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. Updating via ethernet solved my problems. I thank you and my xbox/ipod loving children triple thank you.

7. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Great to read that you got it resolved!!!
    You are welcome!