Airport Extreme problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bpd115, Aug 4, 2007.

1. bpd115 macrumors 6502a

bpd115

Here is the issue. We have a new N model AEBS. Noticed that our upload speed was horrible, after an online speed test. The download was what it should be for our cable connection, around 4.7 Mbs, but the upload was sometimes not registering or giving a result of 5 K.

This is an all Mac network btw. So I powered everything down and restarted the modem, router, etc. Same issue. I also reverted to the 7.1 and 7.0 firmwares with no luck. Hit the reset button on the back of the Airport, same problem.

Then I hooked up directly to the cable modem. Upload went to where it should at 649 K. I then hooked up a belkin pre n router, everything was fine through that router.

Thinking that the airport had a bum IP address, I took the IP the belkin got and statically assigned that IP to the Airport WAN interface. Got online, downloads are fine, but still upload speeds are shot.

I'm thinking bum router?

2. Celeron macrumors 6502a

Are you doing this test via wired ports or wireless? If you're using wireless did you try disabling whatever security you have any try again?

3. bpd115 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bpd115

I've tried both actually. We have a 12" Powerbook wireless, an iMac G5 and an iMac G4 wired.

I'm stumped and on the phone with Apple as we speak.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

have you tried changing the wireless channel that your router is using?? it could be possible that there is a lot of interference where you are. channell 11 should be selected on the router (it goes the fasterest)

5. Celeron macrumors 6502a

What did Apple have to say about this?

6. bpd115 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bpd115

I stumped them. We put it in bridge mode and hooked the apple to the belkin via the wan port. Upload was fine. Im going to try it on a diffrent Internet connection.

7. Celeron macrumors 6502a

That's odd. I assuming you tried all the basics like a different cable and power cycling all devices involved?

It would be interesting to know what the max. throughput is through that thing.

What if you put it in bridge mode, connect it to your modem, and plug a PC behind the base station? This would in essence connect your machine directly to the modem. How are the speeds in this instance? I imagine they would be the same with the belkin in front.

Maybe the AEBS sucks at NAT?

8. bpd115 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bpd115

I've powercycled changed cables etc I havent tried bridged with the modem but will give it a shot. The aebs was in place for a few months with no problem.

9. bpd115 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bpd115

I just connected the iMac G5 via ethernet to the AEBS, and the modem to the wan port of the AEBS with it in bridge mode.

iMac has pulled a public IP.

Problem still exists and uploads are non existant.

This seems to have started happening when I updated to 7.1.1, and even though I've rolled back the firmware to 7.1 and 7.0, the routing seems to be screwed up.

10. bpd115 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bpd115

ok, so I took the router to my home network (this is my fathers network) and connected it to my cable modem, which is a newer model motorola (his is about 6 years old). Same ISP.

The AEBS was telling me nothing connected to the wan port. After several unplugs and replugs the green light for the wan port came on and the AEBS was online.

Tried the speed test and the upload completed this time, however the connection then froze. Rebooted everything. Nothing in wan port. Unplug replug a few times. Online. Speed test. Upload was down from 539 K to 199K. Connection then froze again.

I think we're going to drive her to the Apple store in NJ (Rockaway) and see if they'll exchange it. This WAN port is all goofed up.