Airport Extreme Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kevin1182, Sep 30, 2007.

1. kevin1182 macrumors member

Hey guys,

I just bought an airport extreme, and I was hoping that the setup would go smoothly but I have run into a problem. When I go use the airport utility to set it up, I get the following problem:

[​IMG]

Note that I have blacked out the ip address and the subnet mask, but they show up fine on my computer (not sure if I need to do that or not, but did anyway).

The airport extreme is connected to my cable modem, and I know that the modem is working fine as everything still works if I plug my old wireless router back in. If I contact my internet service provider, what would I ask? Or is there a setting I need to change somewhere? Thanks much for any help, I am confused about what is happening!

Kevin

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

3. kevin1182 thread starter macrumors member

I plugged it into the proper port I believe, which is the one next to the usb port on the back of the unit. This is the ones that the instructions say to use...thanks for the quick followup!

Kevin

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Yeah that's the right one. Its just sometimes we overlook the simplest things. Did you unplug/plug the modem in after you connected the AEBS?

5. kevin1182 thread starter macrumors member

6. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Do you need to enter a username and password to dial-in, or is it an always-on connection ?

Clicking continue and following the steps it gives you can sometimes lead you to where you want to be.

7. kevin1182 thread starter macrumors member

This is an always on connection. I tried stepping through the utility program, but there was no way to resolve the problem based on using the program. It simply said to call my internet service provider.

Thanks, any other ideas?

Kevin

8. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

Possible solution: Power off the cable modem for five minutes or so. Repower.

Mine had the mac address of the old router cached, and wouldn't recognize the AE even after a power cycle. A prolonged power cycle caused it to recognize the AE.

Good luck.

9. kevin1182 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks CashGap, that seems like a possibility and was exactly why I wanted to post and see if anyone had ideas. I will be getting home in the next hour or so and will give that a try and let you know what happens.

Kevin

10. kevin1182 thread starter macrumors member

It worked! Much, Much thanks for the idea. In hindsight I should have thought of it myself!

Kevin

11. hotshotharry macrumors 6502

LOL thats how everything is fixed in the windows world haha, dont even look at anything til you have rebooted/recycled it !!!! :)