airport extreme problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by superknoppix, Aug 7, 2008.

1. superknoppix macrumors member

superknoppix

the airport extreme does not support external drives with More than 1 partition

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I think so... can anyone else confirm that for the OP?

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

4. superknoppix thread starter macrumors member

superknoppix

:(I did not search this time because i posted this with my iPhone in a very short amount of time, also the link to the other airport extreme with partitioned drive problem has not been updated since 2007.... Therefor it could be for the old airport extreme(the ugly round one)
    :apple:
    I phoned Apple and talked to a tech about the airport extreme working with partitioned drives, the guy said that apple does not support partitioned drives with the airport extreme. I have a WD My Book 1TB and made two partitions on it. One is for time machine backups and the other is a FAT32 partition that I was going to use as storage space for all my machines.(FAT32 because some machines are macs and some are pcs). The airport extreme can see the drive's partitions, and all the computers connected to the network can also see the drive, whenever I try to access one of the partitions it says the partition could not be mounted and then the router resets... I then downgraded my firmware from 7.3.2 to 7.3.1. When I did that I could access both partitions of the drive for a short amount of time, however a day later, the airport started reseting whenever I attempted to mount the partitions, and also when the computers could see and access the partitions, time machine could not mount the partition for backups.

I believe that Apple must make a new firmware that will fully support partitioned drives as well as time machine backups to those drives.

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The round AirPorts never supported Hard Drives. While the firmware doesn't support it, it does work. There are many pages on the web saying so.

TEG