Airport Extreme - Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by FatMax, Oct 23, 2012.

1. FatMax macrumors 6502

FatMax

First off, my Airport Extreme is 6 years old. I don't know much about how these fail, eventually.

I have a Fibre Broadband connection at home. A 25/25 Mbit line. My broadband router is set to bridge mode, as it is a pain to restart it every time I need to open up a port. It's far easier doing it via the AE.

Recently my Internet connection has been shoddy at best. I have a switch connected to the AE and then hardwired to Apple TVs, one Mac Mini, one iMac and a Playstation 3 to this. Further, 4 iphones, 1 ipod, 3 Mac laptops and two win laptops connect wirelessly, in addition to two iPads.

(Wow, I just realized I have a lot of stuff! :D )

If I watch a movie on Apple TV via Netflix, or Plex for that matter, the video just stops or goes to bad quality. Wireless also is a problem at times. Is there any known reason for this, in relation to a AE failing? Or is my AE just not built for this kind of large traffic use?

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Could be it is not your Airport Extreme but The OS, there are quite a few people which had streaming problems to the AppleTV running ML.

Edit: Think I read it wrong, you are directly streaming to AppleTv from the Internet?
    You say "Recently my Internet connection has been shoddy at best." so is your internet connection a problem?
    You could reset the AE and try setting it up again.

3. FatMax thread starter macrumors 6502

FatMax

Streaming both locally and through wan causes problems.

I'll try to set it up again then.

Thanks!