Airport Extreme Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by northernpaul, Feb 5, 2011.

1. northernpaul macrumors member

Hi

I have a questions re: an Aiport Extreme and wondered if someone could help me?

My setup is as follows:-

In Room 1, I have an ADSL internet connection with a modem that includes a wireless router (it's from bethere.co.uk in case it's relevant). Call this 'Wireless 1'.

In Room 2, I have a collection of hard drives and a printer plugged into an Airport Extreme. Call this 'Wireless 2'.

Because of the way the flat is set up, I can't:-
    1) Move the ADSL connection to Room 2
    2) Move the hard drives and printer to Room 1
    3) Run an ethernet between the two rooms.

My aim is to create create ONE wireless network that allows me to connect to the Internet and my hard drives/printer. At the moment, I can change between networks when I want to go online/access a hard drive/printer, but that isn't ideal.

I thought I might be able to ask the Airport to 'Join an Existing Network' and connect to Wireless 1, but I'm having problems. When I then connect to Wireless 1 using my laptop, Airport Utility does successfully connect to the Airport Extreme (which shows that the Airport Extreme is indeed connecting to Wireless 1), however I can't access the hard drives.

Is there a better way to do this?

Alternatively, are there certain ports I should open on Wireless 1 to enable the hard drives to be accessible to my laptop?

Hope this makes sense, and any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks

2. northernpaul thread starter macrumors member

Just to add, Wireless 1 is a Thomson TG585 v7 ADSL a/g router

3. northernpaul thread starter macrumors member

In case that was hard to follow I want either of these:-

[​IMG]

4. jenzjen macrumors 68000

I could be wrong, but I think you need an Extreme and/or Time Machine on both ends to do what you want.

5. northernpaul thread starter macrumors member

I think you're right :(

6. psxguru macrumors 6502a

If I understand you correctly it sounds like you just want to use the AE as a wireless repeater for one network (the one setup by the BE box).

Try changing the wireless mode on the AE to 'extend a wireless network', you will probably also need to change the connection sharing option to bridge mode.

Suck it and see!

7. dvh13 macrumors newbie

AFAIK the extend an existing network option on all apple routers only works with other apple routers.
    To answer your question- An airport express would do the trick. Put the Express with the existing router/modem and in bridge mode the express will create the wireless network and the modem/router will do the routing and DHCP. The extreme should have no issue joining the network created by the express. I run this same exact setup in my house, and I have no trouble streaming 720p video from the HD attached to the Extreme to my laptop. From my experience speed won't be a problem.
    The apple refurb store has current generation airport express at a 30% discount from retail. Thats where I got mine.

8. lexvo macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think the Airport Extreme should be set in bridge mode. This way you have one network where the modemrouter is giving out IP-adresses.