Airport Extreme question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sam235, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Sam235 macrumors member

Sam235

hello all whats up, i was wondering if connecting airport extreme to a verizon fios router would slow down the internet?
    example:
    Verizon router___________________(Ethernet)____________Airport extreme
    why?
    because i want my own network to connect my computers to securly and the owners of the house(ppl i live with) agreed and want me to setup my own network thanks all

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I doubt it would slow down the entire internet.

The FIOS connection has a limited bandwidth. Connecting the two routers together will not in itself decrease your maximum bandwidth, but understand that your bandwidth will be shared by all the devices connected to the router(s).

3. Sam235 thread starter macrumors member

Sam235

thanks alot miles, bandwidth is no problem for me, my connection to the internet is encrypted on my computers using a vp network, would AP allow 2 or more computers with different ips connected @ the same time
    ?thanks alot

4. taylortm macrumors member

Yes. That is the intended functionality of a product like Airport Extreme.

The only MINOR concern is that you have a double NAT situation now. The FiOS router is performing NAT and now the AP Extreme is performing NAT, as well. You'll see error messages on your Console and such. But, for MANY (not all) peoples' setups/usage, this won't present a problem.

5. Sam235 thread starter macrumors member

Sam235

thanks for the reply, the only thing that wont have an internet encryption is the ps3, but i am sure it wont be much of a problem since i dont download much, again thanks alot both of u

6. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Why not just leave the FIOS wifi on, setup AEBS in bridge mode with a different wifi name. Then, no NAT problem, right?

7. Sam235 thread starter macrumors member

Sam235

hmm ya true i didnt think of that, to clarify u mean a wireless bride right?