Airport Extreme question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Matt-Man-Plus, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Matt-Man-Plus macrumors regular

I currently use a Time Capsule as my wireless router. All of the ethernet ports except for one are taken up by other devices. I would like to connect an Apple TV 2 and PS3 via ethernet to my network and realized i would have to buy an ethernet switch to do this.

Can I just run an ethernet cable to an Airport Express and use that as the ethernet switch I need and extend my wireless network at the same time?
    With this setup, will all of the devices (wifi and ethernet) still be on the same subnet? I realize the cost difference between an AE and an ethernet switch but if I can extend the wifi network it would be worth it. Thanks

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

You say Express in your post, but I do believe you mean Extreme.

Yes, you can use it as a switch and wireless gateway. You will need to set it up as a bridge in AirPort Utility. This allows the Ethernet ports to be used as additional ports to your main network and will allow you to create additional SSIDs for your network. All will be viewed as one giant network with all devices being able to communicate with one another. The only drawback is you lose the ability to create a guest network. If you'd like to keep this functionality, I'd suggest swapping the AEBS and the Time Capsule, making the Extreme the main router and the TC as the bridge.

3. Matt-Man-Plus thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

You are correct. I meant Airport Extreme. Thank you for your help. I've been reading that there maybe a newer airport extreme coming out so I might wait.

4. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

Yep, there's a new AirPort Extreme out. As far as I can tell it's pretty much the same as the existing AEBS except it has 2.8x the power output. I've got one on order so I'll see if it improves some of the connections in my home network.