Airport Extreme Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by LuminousLime, Jul 21, 2012.

1. LuminousLime macrumors newbie

Hey there,

I just purchased an airport extreme after using an E4200 for a week (range was awful) and I'm wondering, with the settings and equipment I have, what the best setup is.

1) I have Cat5 wiring all over my house
    2) Modem is in the basement (very far down & router doesn't reach the whole house from this point)
    3) The modem I'm currently using is Virgin Media's Superhub (acting as a router & modem) - I fear that the extreme will also be to weak to provide the entire house with wifi.

I tried setting up the AE before, but it can't recognise the Superhub through Cat5 and it always reverts to 'connect via wireless to router' - is there a way of getting around this / a different setup I can try?
    Detailed instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

LuminousLime

2. miles01110, Jul 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2012

miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You probably have to put the router/modem unit in "modem" mode so the AEBS acts as the router.

3. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

The Super Hub needs to be in "modem only" mode and then connected to the Airport using the 1st port (nearest the power)

4. LuminousLime thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry maybe I didn't explain very well. I want to keep using 2 routers, one simply isn't enough for the house.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Then you need to get another Apple router/networking device. Apple devices only extend the networks of other Apple devices. Alternatively, you could ditch the AEBS and buy a cheap wireless repeater (or router set in repeater mode).

Plus, it seems that you haven't been able to see if the AEBS will be sufficient or not. I'd try that first.

6. LuminousLime thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm quite happy for the device to create a new network - but by using the Cat5

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Then put the AEBS in bridge mode. This turns the AEBS into an access point, "extending" your wireless coverage. If you want the AEBS to be the router - i.e. handing out IP addresses on your LAN, you have to put the modem/router in "modem only" mode as Crazy Badger suggested.

8. LuminousLime thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm okay, let's try it again. Do I need to change any settings on my VM Superhub / disable DHCP on the AE?

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can leave the Superhub as it is, then use the AE in bridge mode and connect it to the CAT5. This will give you two, separate wireless access points.