Airport Extreme Question

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by adam9c1, May 27, 2014.

1. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

Hi.
    I'm working with Airport Extreme setting up WiFi.

AirPort Utility 6.3.2
    Radio Mode 802.11a/n - 802.11b/g/n (Automatic)
    Do I check the mark for 5GHZ network name and enable that?

WiFi devices are as follows:
    iPhone 5S
    iPhone 4
    iPad mini
    iPad v2

Thank you.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You can leave that box unchecked. A 5Ghz network will be created and if a device is within range of it, it will be used over the 2.4Ghz network.

3. PixelpusherBV, May 27, 2014
    Last edited: May 27, 2014

PixelpusherBV macrumors member

I have enabled the 5GHz network & used the same SSID as the 2.4GHz network. That way my 5GHz enabled devices switch to use the faster network automatically, but the non-enabled 5GHz devices remain on the 2.4GHz network. This way you'll get the best connection your device/s can handle.

----------

^continued from my post above;

From the top of my head, your 5s & iPad mini will exploit the 5GHz network & your iphone 4 & iPad v2 will use your 2.4GHz network.

I have a similar set of devices & this set up works well for me.

4. NukeIT macrumors regular

If you don't check it. Your device and the extreme will decide which channel is best and use that one.

If you check it, it will split the 5 GHz channel off on it's own. So you can specifically tell a device to connect to the 5 GHz channel.

Depending on your home/office/setup/etc. Your 5GHz channel may have worst reception then the 2.4 GHz but you still want to use the 5 GHz over the 2.4 GHz. Then you need to split it off. And manually choose it that way.