airport extreme question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by twoodcc, Aug 11, 2007.

1. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

so i already have an airport extreme. i was wondering if i could extend it with another airport extreme, and with the extended one, hook up a computer via ethernet?

so i would have 1 extreme hooked up to the dsl on the other side of the house, then have the other extreme on this side of the house, extending the first one, and also use the ethernet ports.

is this possible?

thanks in advance

2. maclover007 macrumors member

ok...first off. yes you can extend it. and with the exended one u can hook up ethernet. how big is your house because the extreme has a VERY large area that the signal covers strongly?!?! so yes it is possible

3. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks.

it's not that the house is that big, but it has to go through a lot of walls. and where the one i have now is, i can't add an airdisk b/c there's no place for a hard drive. also, i have a computer that doesn't have wireless.

and, i have a wii, on this side of the house, and if i want to play online, i need a closer signal. and i have an xbox 360, and i don't have wireless on it

4. maclover007 macrumors member

ok it wouldn't have any trouble goin though lots of walls. so i would buy another airport exteme:mad:. i think it might be cheaper 2 get a wireless card for the comp and for the xbox?!?!

5. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

well i know it does go through the walls. i already have it setup (only 1 airport). i have a mac pro and macbook pro. both are usually 4 bars where they are now...sometimes 3 bars. i'm concerned playing online with the Wii though (i haven't done this yet...is it free?)

right now i'm justing thinking about this.

but i would be another airport before i bought wireless for the xbox, considering the wireless xbox thing is like $100.

and the computer is a mac mini G4, so i don't think i'll be adding wireless to it

6. maclover007 macrumors member

i dn't know about the wii but i wouln't buy another 180$ airport extreme. if u need 2 just exend your network how about the airport express? i dn't know about the G4....o and yes the wii online is free unless u wnt 2 download stuff then u have 2 buy "Wii Points"

7. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

i could get the airport extreme for like $160 with my edu discount (something like that).

i'd get much more use out of it than spending $100 on the wireless adapter for the xbox.

the airport express doesn't have ethernet ports (or does it?) and it's not wireless-n (which neither is the Wii or my iPhone)

8. eme jota ce macrumors regular

Airport express has an ethernet port. I used one to catch the wireless signal in my house then send the connection via ethernet cable from it to an old iMac (lamp style) that didn't have a wireless card. Actually worked better because the iMac was 802.11b (if it had a card) but benefited from teh 802.11g speeds of express via the ethernet cable.

There was an Apple manual that describe the settings. Wish I still had the link for you, but it was one of the older manuals that may still be online at apple.