Airport Extreme Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by uplusd, Apr 25, 2008.

1. uplusd macrumors 6502

I have a question about printer sharing with the airport extreme. If i hook up a multi function printer to it (scan, copy, print) will I lose the ability to scan?

2. I3eXa macrumors 6502

umm, unless there is some unseen problem with the AEBS there would be no reason you couldn't use the scan function. Why would you think there would be an issue?

3. uplusd thread starter macrumors 6502

I thought that because it wouldn't be hooked up directly to a computer anymore and wouldn't have the drivers. Could you use image capture with a scanner?

4. anthonybsd macrumors member

Wow, why would you NOT think there would be an issue? Do you imagine scan function just magically flowing over TCP/IP?

No, of course you won't be able to scan through AEBS shared printer/scanner, that's just common sense.
    http://tech.ifelix.net/8015.html

5. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Not every printer is compatible with the AEBS. There is a very small list somewhere on the Apple site that lists the printers that are compatible, otherwise, you are better off just hooking the printer up to the computer directly.

6. Gentile macrumors regular

Gentile

You can only print, not scan.

You have to hook up a computer with usb cable to scan.

7. I3eXa macrumors 6502

dont gotta be an as about it, just thought there'd be no issue, obviously i was wrong geez....

8. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Scan function is lost when connected to the AEBS but it should print OK

9. Learjet035 macrumors 6502

Wow! Guess what? It's NOT common sense.

Everything else "magically" flows over my wireless. :rolleyes:

10. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Yeah. I thought it was one of my posts for a second :p

To the OP, I suppose it depends on if you've bought the MFP already. Some MFP's are network ready and these do support scanning over the network (although many are buggy). In which case you wouldn't need the USB facility, but just jack straight into one of the wired ports on the AEX.

11. nevisbound macrumors newbie

nevisbound

No go AE with DELL 3115 MFP

Couldnt get more than intermittant printing of black and white text but no color photos and no scanning when hooking an airport extreme up to a DELL 3115 MFP by USB. The Dell MFP works great when hooked up to dell laptops but not well at all with the AE. Also I couldnt get it to print by plugging directly into my macbook either. I read somewhere that this printer relies on the computer CPU for some functions and may not work with MAcs. It;s not listed as compatible on the unofficial ifelix list. Oh well. Bummer.