Airport Extreme Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by TravisReynolds, Dec 21, 2008.

1. TravisReynolds macrumors regular

TravisReynolds

I'm thinking about purchasing an airport extreme and replacing my current wireless router. So I'm wondering, would my internet be any faster? Right now I am on a belkin wireless router thats about 4 - 5 years old.

So if you were in my position would you purchase the airport extreme?

are there any advantages or disadvantages? Thanks

2. rnc505 macrumors newbie

I have a lot of problems with port forwarding....

The airport extreme is VERY FAST.... but so are other Wireless-N routers....

ITs easier to forward a port on a linksys router....

glad to help

3. dylanbrown macrumors 6502

The Airport Extreme uses wireless N technology, meaning it is both fast and has a wide coverage. Provided that you only let N enabled devices connect to it.

If you connect a G enabled device, such as:

- an iPod touch/iPhone
    - Nintendo Wii
    - Older Mac or PC

the Airport Extreme along with any other router will "slow-down" it's connection to allow the G devices to connect to it.

I currently have my network set-up with a Time Capsule and another router, which acts as a modem for the TC, but also broadcasts its own wireless network. Meaning I have two networks in my house, 1 N and 1 G. You can do this with AirPort's "Bridge Mode"

See this post on how to set-up a Time Capusle or AEBS with another router to have 2 networks in your house.

Therefore, if you let G devices connect to your AEBS, it will slow-down and will derease it's network coverage.

If you have a Mac that has 802.11n built-in but it's not enabled, you can also purchase the wireless N enabler from the Apple Store here

4. tacomahunter macrumors regular

tacomahunter

I just took the same leap... I had a Linksys for the last 4 years WRT54G and was very happy with it.. I found a Airport Extreme on craigslist for 90.00 and said what the heck... Seems faster to me and of course it adds one more "apple" to the stable. Go for it!!

5. TravisReynolds thread starter macrumors regular

TravisReynolds

Haha yeah I want all apple!

6. Anijake macrumors 6502

Anijake

I also have a APEBS question, when connecting a USB hub to it is it better to use a powered hub? I ask because I used a cheep travel hub and connected my printer and WD500gb drive to it and had all sorts of problems. They would disappear every once and a while. Would a better hub or a powered hub work any better/

7. dylanbrown macrumors 6502

It needs to be a powered hub to share printers and hard drives with an AEBS or Time Capsule.