Airport Extreme- QUESTION

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alittleloving, Jul 31, 2009.

1. alittleloving macrumors newbie

I just got my MBP today along with the airport extreme. I have no clue how to set up airport extreme to get wireless. I have verizon wireless right now as an internet provider. Im not good with all the computer terms and i need some help figuring out what to connect to what. I already installed the airport extreme software so now what?

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Don't you mean you have Verizon FiOS or High Speed Internet? You cannot connect a normal router to Verizon Wireless.

What OS do you have?

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

Need more information about your current Internet connection from Verizon.

Is it from Verizon or Verizon Wireless? Verizon Wireless would mean it's some phone-related thing that lets you get Internet anywhere in the country that Verizon has cell phone service. You don't use a router like the Airport with that.

If it's from Verizon (no wireless), then you probably have their DSL or FiOS service.

If you can figure out which kind, that'd make the next step easier. :)

4. alittleloving thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah sorry I have Verizon Fios. WHats OC? LOL

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The basic answer is connect AEBS to dsl/cable modem. You have to also configure your dsl/cable modem typically turning off the dns server so that your AEBS will not dole out the IP addresses.

6. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

OS - Operating System (ie: Windows or Mac and what version)

Are you replacing the router given to you by Verzion FiOS?

7. alittleloving thread starter macrumors newbie

I have Windows XP and no im not replacing the router.

8. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

So yes, you are replacing the router. It is pointless to have two routers.

You should be able to just plug in the AEBS where the old router is with the Ethernet cable with the incoming internet plugged into the "Internet" port. With Airport Utility (should have been installed on your computer) you should be able to clone the MAC address of your computer and have the AEBS work. The existing Verizon router should already have the MAC address of your computer.

9. alittleloving thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I think I have it plugged in right but when I connect the powercable to the ac adapter it doesn't seem like it's staying in the adapter. If I hold it there the green button will flash theN it turns yellow and nothing happens. I think somethings wrong because it doent seem like the powercord is fitting the adapter right

10. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

You are using the power cable that came with the AEBS, right?

11. alittleloving thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. If I hold it into place it works it'll flash green then it stays yellow for ahwile. What's suppose to happen after it's yellow because it's hard to hold it in place without moving it.

12. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

If the power cable really won't stay plugged in, you are going to need a replacement.

Something doesn't sound right because I've never heard of such a problem happening.

13. alittleloving thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks. Is there any other way I can get wireless for now like I noticed on my verizon wireless router it says wireless/

14. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I would give Verizon a call. They should be able to support their routers.