Airport extreme questions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by medicineuk, Sep 4, 2011.

1. medicineuk macrumors newbie

Hi All, I'm thinking about buying an airport extreme but I have a couple of questions. I was wondering if anyone knew any of the answers to the following.

1. Can you backup using time machine over the network to a USB harddrive?
    2. If you can use time machine. Can you then access the file system of the time machine over afp:// . I would love to have access to my music etc without having to have my Mac turned on

Thanks for any help

2. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

1. sorta

2. yes

when i plugged in my USB hard drive like you want to time machine did a full system backup every time. i called apple and they the only official wireless backup would be the time capsule. however i have seen threads on here from people who have had success. and yes i believe you should be able to access the file system.

3. RedRallyeZ macrumors regular

i just tried to do the "diy" time capsule and i had a couple of issues as well. i had a 1TB external toshiba (usb powered) drive hooked up and it was a saying that my 550ish GB backup was gonna take about 9 days to complete. i did this both ethernet connected and wireless, same issue.

it seems that the hard drive in an airport extreme method is very hit or miss.

4. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

It all depends on how much it's trying to backup. You could always hook up the USB hard drive to your computer and tell time machine to backup to it. Afterwards just rehook it up to your airport extreme.