Airport Extreme Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tdale, Mar 5, 2015.

1. tdale macrumors 65816

Hi all

Ive watched some setup videos, pretty straight forward but I didn't see any answers to my questions.I wish to connect an AEBS to my existing modem/wifi router, a Huawei HG630b

1. Does Airport Utility scan my existing wifi network and get the settings and add those to the AEBS? Such as SSID, PW etc

2. No mention of then needing to turn off wifi on the existing modem/router, as each will be next to each other I was expecting the setup instructions to advise turning off the old wifi?

3. After connecting the modem/wifi Router LAN to AEBS WAN, will I have full use of the LAN ports on the modem/wifi router as well as the 3 on the AEBS?

Cheers and thanks

2. brentsg macrumors 68040

Put your existing unit into bridge mode and use the router functions on the AEBS.

Otherwise you will be putting the AEBS into bridge mode and using it as a $20 switch.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

What sort of connection do you have, and if it's UFB (or if you plan to go to UFB during the life of the hardware), which ISP?

4. tdale thread starter macrumors 65816

UFB, Spark. 30/10.

----------

My intention is to upgrade the wifi.

If I bridge the 630b, then the AEBS acts as router and wifi.

If I bridge the AEBS, the 630b acts as the router, the AEBS the wifi.

Will both devices LAN ports be useable in each case?

If so, one of these will route better than the order or will that be unnoticeable?

5. Fishrrman macrumors G4

OP wrote above:
    [[ Ive watched some setup videos, pretty straight forward but I didn't see any answers to my questions.I wish to connect an AEBS to my existing modem/wifi router, a Huawei HG630b ]]

Question:
    Is the Huawei a cable modem or DSL modem, as supplied by your ISP?

My advice would be the opposite of what was offered above.

If the AE is to be "downstream" of the Hauwei, I would leave the upstream modem set to provide NAT.

I would set the AE up thus (Using Airport Utility):

Internet pane - DHCP

Wireless pane - create a wireless network
    Give it a name, select your security level, enter password

Network pane - Off (bridge mode)

If the AE is going to be in the same location as the Huawei, I would go into the Huawei's setup and TURN OFF wireless (leave it as a "wired" router).

If the AE is intended to expand your wireless network (as in being at the different end of a house, or upstairs, etc.) I would connect it via Ethernet, and go to the advanced option in the "Wireless pane" and assign it DIFFERENT CHANNELS than what the Huawei is using, so that the channels don't conflict. You can download something called "iStumbler" which will reveal this info to you, very easy to use.

ALSO -- I suggest during configuration, that you connect the Mac to the AE via a WIRED ETHERNET CONNECTION for the setup.

My ISP furnished a modem/router with slow wireless speeds, so I added an AE nearby, put it into bridge mode (as above), and turned off wireless on the modem. No problems or conflicts, runs great...

6. tdale thread starter macrumors 65816

Whats the difference between having NAT on the 630b soon to be wired router, and DHCP on the soon to be wifi AEBS?

Will the 3 remaining LAN ports on the 630b and the 3 on the AEBS all be fully useable?

And thanks for the complete and detailed reply, much appreciated.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You can't do that. The AEBS can't route Spark UFB (due to not supporting 802.1q) so you need to use the 630b as the router. Fishrrman's suggestion looks like it'll work.

8. tdale thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks! Are the LAN ports on the AEBS still fully useable?

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Should be fine.

10. tdale thread starter macrumors 65816

I thought NAT and DHCP go together, but you can have NAT on the source router and DHCP on the downstream AEBS? Reasoning?

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Selecting Internet > DHCP makes the AEBS a DHCP client, not a server. The Huawei will still be the DHCP server.