Airport extreme questions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by eclipse01, Apr 23, 2015.

1. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

I noticed by default the 5ghz channel is not active (you have to turn it on separately).

My first question is I have one device that is capable of pulling of AC speeds. Do I have to turn on that 5ghz option to obtain AC speeds? Or does the router automatically adjust for best results by default. (does it even use the 5ghz by default?)

So I did end up turning the 5ghz option and DID notice that I get my full 60mbps when running a speedtest on the 5ghz wifi option, however when I switch to my normal wifi option I get around 20.

Can someone clear this up for me? Sorry if this is confusing :(

2. PsyOpWarlord macrumors 6502

PsyOpWarlord

The 5GHz is on by default. It just doesn't have a separate SSID unless you check the box (2.4 and 5 GHz will have the same SSID).

If you use the same SSID you phone will connect to the stronger signal (not necessarily the fastest). So if 2.4GHz wireless-N has better signal it will use that before 5GHz wireless-AC.

If you set a separate SSID for your 5GHz signal, you can then set your devices to only connect to the 5GHz that support AC only.

3. eclipse01 thread starter macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Thank you,

That is what I kind of thought.

So why would you want to make a separate SSID? for 5ghz if It will automatically pull from it when it needs it anyway?

4. takeshi74, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015

takeshi74 macrumors 601

Started typing a response but PsyOpWarlord's post explains why and I was just saying the same thing again.

5. eclipse01 thread starter macrumors 68020

eclipse01

right so separating them just "ensures" you are always using the 5ghz...