Airport Extreme Questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by VforVelveta, Jul 22, 2007.

1. VforVelveta macrumors regular

VforVelveta

I'm currently looking into getting an Airport Extreme and I had a couple questions.

First, is the speed of the 802.11n noticeably faster than 802.11g? Would it be worth the price of admission?

Second, there will be a few Windows computers on the network, will they need to install Bonjour to use a printer attached to Airport, or can they just access it buy connecting to it manually?

Thanks for any help.

2. Rivix macrumors 6502a

Rivix

I have a few questions of my own :)

- Is it compatable with Wii/DS
    - When you you think there will be a hardware (sorftware) update to allow for Gigabit Ethernet?

Thank ya very much. :D

3. L3X macrumors 6502a

I just bought the AE but am waiting on my MBP to hook it up. From what people say, Wireless n is well worth it, however, make sure your laptop has wireless n . You can find this out on Apple's site. The AE comes with the enabler if you need that.

Also, you do need Bonjour for Windows machines to print off the AE.

to Rivix - It should be compatible with the Wii. The Wii just needs a wireless signal and that's what the AE provides.

4. aristobrat macrumors G5

I have a new Extreme setup in 802.11n-only mode, and coping files between computers inside the house is definitely much faster!

If you only use wireless to get on the Internet, then I don't think you'll notice a speed increase. 802.11g, even though it's slower than 802.11n, is still a lot faster than most peoples Internet connection.

5. Denali9 macrumors member

Wireless N

If you share your network with B/G devices, you won't find a significant increase in performance from G to N. In order to fully realize N potential, the best thing to do is use N only network and reuse your old G router or buy a cheap wireless G router to support your Wii and any other non N devices.

Apple has a really good article in the support section on setting up dual band wireless network at home.

6. L3X macrumors 6502a

good points

7. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

You won't notice any difference at all with the speed. Unless you are networking computers. On the internet, nothing. G already runs faster than your internet goes so you won't notice the difference. The biggest difference I noticed was that faster connecting to wifi from sleep

How are you attaching the printer? Through the USB on the back on the airport? If so, then yes, you need winxp and you need bonjour installed. That is the only way. It doesn't make the printer a network printer so you can't set it up manually.

Is it worth it? For me, no, I sent mine back to apple for a full refund because I wanted it for the USB HD. And it is slow (like 2.5mbp) so no. If you are transferring a lot through your network over WiFi (mac-to-mac), then it could be worth it, and THEN it might be worth it.

The Stig

8. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

It should be. It gives off a WiFi signal so a Wii/DS should pick it up. It works just like any other router. The only thing is that it doesn't have very good port forwarding options.

Apple has removed my ability to think correctly. I only know how to think differently, so I'm always really confused...

But something tells me that a software update can't change it to a Gigabit Ethernet... I think it is a hardware thing.

The Stig

9. aristobrat macrumors G5

FWIW, one of the gaming consoles (I want to say it was the 360) won't do WPA with the new Extreme...