Airport Extreme Questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bingefeller, Oct 6, 2009.

1. bingefeller macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of getting the Airport Extreme but have a few questions first.

OK, if I get the Airport Extreme will I need a modem too? I plan to use it wirelessly.... I don't think I will but I read another thread and it has made me confused about this.

My Dad uses a PC so he should just be able to connect to the Airport Extreme on his computer like he normally does to the Netgear, right? I mean, he won't need any software installed will he?

2. psingh01 macrumors 65816

you'll need some kind of broadband modem if you want to access the internet. you connect the modem to the airport extreme via ethernet cable. it does not have a modem built in.

your dad should have no problem connecting....works the same way as a netgear or other type of router.

3. bingefeller thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah right OK thanks.

Well, I'd rather get something with a combined modem and router in that case. Would you have any suggestions? I have a Netgear DG834G and it hasn't been working so well lately and I think it's just it's age as I can't find any problems with it.

4. khirok macrumors newbie

From my experience the combined modem and router boxes are not the greatest and usually are very limited in functionality based on what the ISP gives you (the 2Wire from AT&T is a fine example). I would say go through your ISP and get a new modem and then get on ebay and buy the previous generation Airport Extreme and it will run you about $80.

5. psingh01 macrumors 65816

I don't have any experience with routers with integrated modems so can't recommend anything.

6. khirok macrumors newbie

From my experiences they cripple them and at least 3 years ago on AT&T DSL they didn't let you turn on port forwarding or open ports up on the firewall.