Airport Extreme quick question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by oyalhi, Aug 3, 2011.

1. oyalhi macrumors member

oyalhi

Does airport extreme need to be connected to the adsl modem, or can it be used to extend the range of the existing wifi at my home?

Currently if I take out the cable (after the intial setup) the wifi does not work. I am asking because during the beginning of the setup there were 3 options to set it and I did not fully understand them (use as a bridge, or dhcp etc.)

I assumed that I would keep my existing adsl modem on the bottom floor, use the airport extreme on the second floor, so that the wifi signal is stronger on the third floor (I have a playbook and it's wifi reception is not as well as my mac's).

Thanks,

Omer

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

A modem is not a router. Unless you have a modem/router combination and an existing wireless network you cannot use the AEBS as a wireless repeater.... because there's nothing for it to repeat.

3. oyalhi thread starter macrumors member

oyalhi

I already have a modem/router on the first floor which is also wifi, AirTies Air 6271 (http://www.airties.com/product-details.asp?pn=Air 6271). And on the product description it notes that the wifi can be extended by using another Air 6271.

I have a very weak signal on the 3rd floor and I want to extend (without using cables) the wireless of the Air 6271 by putting the Airport Extreme on the 2nd floor of the house.

If this is possible; which option do I select during the assisted setup on the Extreme (the very first options that I have to choose during initial setup)?

Thanks,

Omer

4. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

AFAIK the Apple products only extend Apple networks. If you can make a wired connection, then you can create a second network.

5. oyalhi thread starter macrumors member

oyalhi

Aha, ok I didn't know that. I was able to succesfully create a second network with a wired connection (between AirTies and Airport Extreme) and then extend it with Airport Express, but not without a wire. Bummer. Thanks for the replies.

6. aaboulenein macrumors newbie

I have a similar problem, I just bought an airport express, and it's the only one I own. Can I use it to extend my wireless connection by connecting it via ethernet to my wireless speedtouch router?

7. skorpien macrumors 68020

Yes. Disable the DHCP (turn Connection Sharing to Off (Bridge mode) in AirPort Utility) and set up an SSID for the Express. This will make the Express act as a wireless access point (WAP) for your current network. You can create a roaming network by giving the Express the same SSID and password as your current router, or you can set up an entirely different SSID to which you can connect. Both will allow users connecting to either the router or the Express to communicate with one another.

8. aaboulenein macrumors newbie

I used the automatic setup and set the Airport Express to the setting "Create a new wireless network" and I changed the network's name to "Apple" so that I can distinguish it from my normal connection network which is called "Speedtouch". The connection sharing is off (bridge mode). Does this accomplish the same thing you're telling me to do?

9. oyalhi thread starter macrumors member

oyalhi

Why is this called extending the network? You are extending the network as far as the cable between the airport and the modem. Apple is misguiding us. Extend your home network!!! Oh by the way you are restricted to the "cable" when extending your "wireless" network!

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

More like you don't really understand what you're talking about, but that's beside the point.

11. skorpien macrumors 68020

It's one and the same. I was just describing how to do it manually, but the way you've done it achieves the same result.

12. oyalhi thread starter macrumors member

oyalhi

I am the OP of the thread. Which means I really don't quite understand and that is why I am asking questions. I may be making a statement which does not make sense at all based on my limited knowledge. One would figure that's why I am here asking questions. BUT that is besides the point also.

You could enlighten me and thus readers of the thread, which I would obviously appreciate.

Your comment did not add anything usefull to the thread, wasted my time reading it and writing this, and also anyone else's time as well. I have no idea what your intention was writing the sentence that you did.

Again I would appricate any pointers so that I learn something useful and not make bold statements as you kindly pointed out.

Regards,

Omer