Airport Extreme Range

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by trackbikes, Aug 13, 2013.

1. trackbikes macrumors regular

I am looking at getting an apple Tv but I am a bit concerned about my network , the routers are 2-4 years old (Linksys E2000's) and the main router is at the top of the house and a router near the TV is downstairs operating as an AP.

I use a couple of home plugs to connect it all together. As the linksys doesn't have enough range to be reliable downstairs.

Would I get better range with an APE and should i pair it with an airport express.

I get 7mb upstairs where the main router is via ethernet and wireless and downstairs varies between 6 mb and 3 mb

2. Edgecrusherr macrumors member

How old is your house and what materials is it made of?

At my last house the 2009 Airport Extreme covered the whole house with great range. Currently I'm living with my girlfriend's family until we can buy a house. The house is about 70-80 years old, and full of building materials that block my signal. The 2009 Airport Extreme served internet through this house without much of a problem, but the file transfer speeds between computers were very poor. I bought the new 2013 Airport Extreme with 802.11ac (gigabit wifi), and although it has about 5 times the range and speed as the old Airport Extreme, it still transfers data poorly. I need to get a 3rd router and try putting it by the steps to see if that helps.

3. lexvo macrumors 65816

It depends much on the materials in the house how much a signal will be blocked or weakened.

I myself have a 3-story house. My 2010 (2011?) Airport Extreme (installed on the ground floor) covers all floors and also large parts of the garden.

4. trackbikes thread starter macrumors regular

I'll get one and give it ago I can always add an express later if i need to..

The house is 3 floors with the router on the middle floor BUT the floors are marble